What's a good price for a Gibson RD Standard Bass in Ebony, all OG?

What's Hot
Turak64Turak64 Frets: 0
Hi all

I'm looking at picking up a Gibson RD Standard that's apparently in one of the more "rare" colours. I understand only 900 of these were ever made and I have no idea how many of those were black/ebony.

I've done some digging around and can only find the ones in natural selling for anything between £2,500-£3,500. I've found 2 in black, one sold for around £1,500 and the other £4,500!

I was wondering if anyone had a good idea of what these things usually go for?

Simon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Turak64Turak64 Frets: 0
    Here's a pic of it for reference

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Do those prices include the necessary back brace?

And a trailer for the case...

Rare enough that a 'going rate' price is probably hard to find. How much is it worth to you? Have you played it? Or even lifted it? The weight and neck dive are real issues, and the case is the size of a snooker table and not much lighter.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Turak64Turak64 Frets: 0
    ICBM said:
    Do those prices include the necessary back brace?

And a trailer for the case...

Rare enough that a 'going rate' price is probably hard to find. How much is it worth to you? Have you played it? Or even lifted it? The weight and neck dive are real issues, and the case is the size of a snooker table and not much lighter.
    I've heard they're a bit heavy, but it wouldn't be something I'd gig with. No case sadly and even those go for like £300 on Reverb.

Going to see it tomorrow, neck dive is a very good point as well. I just wanted to get an idea of value so I know what it's worth.

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14429
    In the late Seventies, Harry Stoneham led the house band for the Michael Parkinson television show. The bassist was an RD user. He always played seated and wearing a broad strap. 

Gibson's next attempt, the Victory series, was little better.

Come to think of it, whenever Kevin Peek of Sky performed onstage with an RD Artist guitar, he played it seated.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.