NAD: Badcat Hotcat

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
edited July 2023 in Amps
Many years ago I played a Matchless DC30 at a festival.  It was the best amp I've every played in 30 years of gigging.  Always hankered for something that sounded as good as that but realistically I was wanting a  2 channel amp  ideally with a boost that didnt weigh the equivalent of an elephant.

I wanted something with really nice clean channel as well.  For the last 10 years I've been using mainly H&K Statesmans for cover band work and other amps (Wienbrock,, fender Hotrod, Vox AC30,  quilter etc for originals.  I like the H&K statesman a lot but would like a clean channel that could break up and the Statesman clean stays clean all the way.    

After watching a few vids I decided that the new Badcats looked really interesting and due to circumstances of work/hols was around shops where they were in stock.

I was in glasgow and managed to nip to a couple of guitar shops.

First up was the Cub 3.  I really liked this, but found that there was a huge volume difference between the clean/od channels.   The guy in guitarguitar also struggled to get the two channels to balance.
I've had other amps like this in the past, which were a nightmare to tweak on stage.   As such  I decided I needed to try the other two new BC amps especially as my credit card was going to take a hammering from this purchase!  I also tried the Blackstar St James, both the EL34 and the 6l6 versions.  I much preferred the EL34 out of the two but it didn't quite  get enough gain for me to use.  These were the first blackstar amps I've tried that I actually liked tho.   I've owned the Artist 30 before which sounded great in the house but never sounded great in a band situation and have tried a bunch of others over the years.  Anyway enough digression and back on track..

Coincidentally, we were away on holiday last week and I was able to pop into Coda music which had the other BC amps in stock.  Coda is  an emporium of dreams. If I lived near there I'd be massively in debt..

First up was the Black Cat.  This is a 20 watt two channel amp with tremelo.    The trem was fantastic and the clean channel sparkled like a new kitchen sink.   Could get a bit of crunch from the clean so box ticked.
I liked the drive channel as well.  Could get a whole range of sounds from it.  The Trem was fantastic, really liked it and the reverb whilst quite subtle was very usable.  I liked the Cut knob on the eq as well alot as it would be useful for switching from a brighter single coil guitar to humbuckers.

Main issue for me was that there wasn't a boost.   There was also a weird thing with the amp I tried in that the footswitch didn't seem to always work with the trem channel, but I assumed it was something a bit odd with THAT particular amp rather than a design flaw.   I was also slightly concerned that 20watts may not work with a noisy drummer, but as I mic up my amps could have lived with that no bother.
 I would have been perfectly happy with this amp (assuming the trem switching thing could be fixed),but as Coda had the hotcat as well I wanted to try that.

I started grinning instantly when I plugged into the Hotcat.  Its a 45 watter with EL34's.
Clean channel was great, sparkling cleans to  a medium/light od on tap,  and the drive channel was absolutely fantastic.     The hotcat has a subtle presence and Reverb, both of which sounded great pretty much every where.   
 Both the clean/crunch channels have a hi gain switch which adds a bit of gain/volume boost to the sound.   It works perfectly as a boost for me as I like a bit of volume and gain boost when doing a lead, but you could easily use it as another channel as well.    I tried a delay in the loop, and a prince of tone in the front.  Swapped from a tele to  humbucker guitar and it sounded absolutely fantastic with everything. 
Drive wise it can pretty do much everything so I might have to sell a bunch of OD pedals in the near future.

So I bought that one!  Looking forward to gigging it but as all my bands are on hols at the moment going to be a couple of weeks before get to road test. 

Its the most expensive amp I've ever bought by a mile, and I'm hoping it will be worth the investment.   It sounds great at home volumes as well , the master volume works really well.      I think BC have hit it out the park with this amp personally but time will tell if that's correct.

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Fab, sounds like a good choice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27025
    Nice - sounds perfect! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291

Nice one. Fancy one
    My old Genz Benz Black Pearl gets me in the Matchless type tone ball park enough.

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2326
    rze99 said:

Nice one. Fancy one
    My old Genz Benz Black Pearl gets me in the Matchless type tone ball park enough.

I had the black pearl briefly when they were selling them off cheaply.  Sent it back after a handful of gigs as it was of the faulty ones.
     It was decent but didn't get near the DC30 I tried.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291
    thomasw88 said:
    rze99 said:

Nice one. Fancy one

I had the black pearl briefly when they were selling them off cheaply.  Sent it back after a handful of gigs as it was of the faulty ones.
    Sorry to hear of your bad BP30 experience. Mine's been excellent (bought it used) so maybe it's one of the early ones.

anyway your Hot Cat sounds fantastic :)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    thomasw88 said:
    rze99 said:

Nice one. Fancy one

Just out of interest, was there a known batch that was faulty or is it just that you know a few were? My first one I got (when GAK were blowing them out) was DOA, the second one I got was fine but then it died a good while later. Haven't  got round to getting it fixed yet...
    Dave_Mc said:
    thomasw88 said:
    rze99 said:

Nice one. Fancy one

Just out of interest, was there a known batch that was faulty or is it just that you know a few were? My first one I got (when GAK were blowing them out) was DOA, the second one I got was fine but then it died a good while later. Haven't  got round to getting it fixed yet...
    I seem to remember a few of the massiv from here or musicradar bought them when Andertons(?) Were blowing them out cheaply.  Quite a few had issues.
    thomasw88 said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    thomasw88 said:
    rze99 said:

Nice one. Fancy one

I seem to remember a few of the massiv from here or musicradar bought them when Andertons(?) Were blowing them out cheaply.  Quite a few had issues.
    Thanks :) It was GAK IIRC (unless there were a couple of blow-outs of them)

And yeah there did seem to be a few problems from what I remember too, as you said. I got the El Diablo head as well when they were blowing them out and it- while not DOA- died on me within the week IIRC.  As you said, I don't think I was the only one, either. (GAK was great at sorting it out, and also the DOA Black Pearl.)

• ChesterChester Frets: 52
    Congrats .. looks like a great amp, with options to balance channel outputs

How good is the global master on this version? Can it get to conversational level, with the channel volumes high? Sound good?

Chester said:
    Congrats .. looks like a great amp, with options to balance channel outputs

How good is the global master on this version? Can it get to conversational level, with the channel volumes high? Sound good?

Yes its perfectly usable at library levels and normal home levels.  Not tried hooking it up to a pc yet but will do soon.   Line out doesn't have a speaker sim so will use an IR,
    Oh I meant to say (I thought I'd done it already!), great score on the amp @thomasw88 ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I bet it’s fantastic. I had a player series cub that really sounded great. 
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    Interesting to read your thoughts on the two amps.

I went with a Black Cat and had exactly the same issue with the trem switch on one of them. Yes, I've had two!  Both of them have had the same issue and keep blowing fuses in the power input everytime it was switched on, the first was replaced and the replacement ended up doing exactly the same (they were different amps as I checked the serials) and is now being returned. Such a shame as they are fantastic sounding amps, but as a working musician I'm not sure I would be able to rely on one now. I think you made the right choice! I'm now thinking of seeing if I can get it replaced with a with a Hot Cat. 
    HoraceB said:
    Interesting to read your thoughts on the two amps.

I went with a Black Cat and had exactly the same issue with the trem switch on one of them. Yes, I've had two!  Both of them have had the same issue and keep blowing fuses in the power input everytime it was switched on, the first was replaced and the replacement ended up doing exactly the same (they were different amps as I checked the serials) and is now being returned. Such a shame as they are fantastic sounding amps, but as a working musician I'm not sure I would be able to rely on one now. I think you made the right choice! I'm now thinking of seeing if I can get it replaced with a with a Hot Cat. 
    I love it..

I've only  done a couple of gigs so far with it as its holidays and everyones been away but I've really liked it so far.
    Its fantastic best amp I've ever owned.  
    in effect you've got a great sounding two channel amp with dual  boosts.    I've not run the master past about 2 oclock with the volumes between 11-2.

• I played the new combo the other day. Best amp I’ve played in a long time. Just the right voicing, character and very versatile. Working out what to sell, and whether to go with a head or combo. Might even move on my (brilliant) BE50 Deluxe. 
  • every time i think of selling my badcat I get a gig where its appropriate (last one was a large hall army camp classic rock / indie kind of covers gig) and its just awesome when you can turn it up. 

Its THE loudest 15w amp ive ever heard, but its amazing - nothing is like it. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 337
    edited August 2023
    I've have now been told by Coda that there has been a problem with the transformers on a lot of these new Bad Cats and that was the issue with the two Blacks Cats I had.  Apparently they have had to send a lot back.  Not sure if it's an issue on the Hot Cats as well.  My real problem is they did sound really good and I'd still like to get a Hot Cat! 
    HoraceB said:
    I've have now been told by Coda that there has been a problem with the transformers on a lot of these new Bad Cats and that was the issue with the two Blacks Cats I had.  Apparently they have had to send a lot back.  Not sure if it's an issue on the Hot Cats as well.  My real problem is they did sound really good and I'd still like to get a Hot Cat! 
    Gads that's a nightmare.   Not missed a beat so far, and really hoping that continues to be the case. 
  • The transformers were starting to tarnish before they'd even left the shop, so they all got returned.

This on the back of a whole load of Black Cats having to be returned because someone at the factory had installed a wrong component in an entire batch of them.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27025
    How can Bad Cat not get a handle on the manufacturing thing? Didn't they have similar issues with the little desktop thing (Paw?) that basically killed the line because they couldn't get them working consistently enough to deliver?

It's such a shame cos they're such great amps when they're working! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom