What bass amp for my son?

What's Hot
daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
My son is after a bass practice amp, the biggest stipulation being something that has an output he can use to record with. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27005
    I love my THR for home stuff. Easy to record with, sounds great, and plenty flexible for bass, guitar, keys etc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72361
    Fender Rumble 25. Use the headphone output for recording.

It's a genuinely good-sounding small bass amp, not just a bedroom amp. Far better than the slightly cheaper - albeit much smaller, if that matters - Rumble 15.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil Jones Bass Cub
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    PJB amps are lovely but so they should be for the money! 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Warwick gnome head is £130 and has a DI out and sounds great. The matching 1x10 cab is c.£150 - probably loud enough to band practice /gig with too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 684
    ICBM said:

It's a genuinely good-sounding small bass amp, not just a bedroom amp. Far better than the slightly cheaper - albeit much smaller, if that matters - Rumble 15.
    I know he’s been looking at the Rumble 15 so that’s brilliant, cheers, shall pass that on
    daveyh said:

I know he’s been looking at the Rumble 15 so that’s brilliant, cheers, shall pass that on
    The difference is astonishing, considering that the 25 even still has an 8" speaker - it's the cabinet being literally about double the size that makes the difference I think. Basically, the 15 is a nice little bedroom amp and sounds good if you try it first - but once you hear the 25, the 15 sounds like a bit of a toy... the 25 is a proper small bass amp, and maybe just loud enough that you could actually use it for an acoustic gig or possibly quiet jazz. (The overdrive mode and contour switches are bonuses.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BorkBork Frets: 256
    EBS Session 60 or 30.  Wonderfully warm sound for the size of speaker and cabinet.

[This space for rent]

• JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    Bork said:
    EBS Session 60 or 30.  Wonderfully warm sound for the size of speaker and cabinet.
    I was going to say that (I’ve got a Session 30, and it’s great - also makes a better than half decent acoustic amp and is perfectly usable with guitar too), but it looks like they’ve been discontinued… :-(
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • jamjarmanjamjarman Frets: 9
    When you say an output to record with do you mean an audio output i.e. DI or Headphones or a Audi interface output - USB? 
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 112
    No one mentioned mark bass yet,  nice compact,  lightweight and loud combos. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    ICBM said:

I got one of these from Gumtree yesterday for my daughter.  It is very good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633
    ICBM is the Rumble "LT" 25 a different amp?

Dave.
    ecc83 said:
    ICBM is the Rumble "LT" 25 a different amp?
    Yes. It appears to be programmable and with a USB audio interface built in - I haven't seen one, so I don't know what the full feature set is. It looks like it has the same cabinet and speaker, so probably similar in terms of tone and volume.

Cheers IC, I had a brief thought of buying something to bumble about with at home but then reality check! I have enough electronic gear kicking around to build a bass amp IF I get my lazy arse in gear. All I really need is a decent 8" bass G drive unit.

Dave.
    edited July 2023
    ecc83 said:
    Cheers IC, I had a brief thought of buying something to bumble about with at home but then reality check! I have enough electronic gear kicking around to build a bass amp IF I get my lazy arse in gear. All I really need is a decent 8" bass G drive unit.
    What power/impedance? I may have something. Proper bass 8"s aren't that common, and not all that cheap to buy new either!

Actually, having looked into the original question a bit more, if daveyh can spend a bit more than the basic model, the LT25 actually looks like a significantly better choice than the plain Rumble 25 - the USB output can definitely be used for recording directly, and it's far more flexible in terms of sounds too.

https://www.fender.com/en-US/play-home/rumble-lt25/2270100000.html

"What power/impedance? I may have something. Proper bass 8"s aren't that common, and not all that cheap to buy new either!"

I have a Maplin 150W* MOSFET module that I built with a very chunky toroidal transformer many years ago. I presently use that with a sealed cab that uses two 8" gash drivers. 'S ok but does not have much low end and needs a pre amp. I don't need window rattling levels so I might just by a cheap EQ pedal?

I found a drive unit online. £19+ shipping, probably ***t but has an fo of 44Hz and a power rating of 200W. No, I don't believe that either! But then, as I say I just want practice levels. Any Z will do.

*Don't think so but probably 80 W or so?

Dave.
    ecc83 said:

I've got nothing close to that in a single speaker unfortunately.  But I do have a pair of Celestion G8L-35s - 15 ohm, so they would make a nice 70W 8-ohm cabinet...

• BodBod Frets: 1301
    If you can find one of the smaller Line 6 Lowdown cubes, they're absolutely brilliant
    edited July 2023
    ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

I've got nothing close to that in a single speaker unfortunately.  But I do have a pair of Celestion G8L-35s - 15 ohm, so they would make a nice 70W 8-ohm cabinet...

No worries mate, save those speakers for a more deserving cause. I really just need something to mess about with at home and I HAVE all the 'bits'!
    Just need to get act together and 'king DO IT!

Dave.