Spanish & Classical guitars - demand in UK? where best to sell?

ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
I seem to have accumulated way too many handmade Spanish, Flamenco and Classical nylon string guitars. What is the current climate for selling/finding new homes/trading this kind of thing in the UK? They are vintage, comprising Alfonso Checa (Granada), Conde Hermanos, and George Love (UK). I was about to list one or two here, but, although great for steel stringers, not sure if it is the best venue for the nylon string world?? I'm in no rush, just maybe could use a suggestion. I'm in the North East. Thanks in advance!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
    edited July 2023
    Won't do any harm to list them here. You never know, and might be an easier selling process.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    Zoonyboy said:
    I seem to have accumulated way too many handmade Spanish, Flamenco and Classical nylon string guitars. What is the current climate for selling/finding new homes/trading this kind of thing in the UK? They are vintage, comprising Alfonso Checa (Granada), Conde Hermanos, and George Love (UK). I was about to list one or two here, but, although great for steel stringers, not sure if it is the best venue for the nylon string world?? I'm in no rush, just maybe could use a suggestion. I'm in the North East. Thanks in advance!
    What flamencos do you have? I dabble in that side of things and would be interested.

The Condes, depending on when/where they made could be the easiest to sell.  I know absolutely nothing about classicals though.

Are you a member of the DelCamp forum? It could be worth signing up there and posting a little before putting up. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    edited July 2023
    Had excellent experience selling top end Antonio Marin Montero with  one of the UK's few remaining dealers. UK importer of classical, flamenco, gypsy jazz guitars and guitar strings (guitars-maestosomusic.com) in Brighton in the winter.

Website looks very grand but in fact it's a gentleman called Paul Gregory working from his home in North Brighton. Paul was really excellent. He's extremely knowledgeable, is a working musician, very pleasant and gave me a good price. He was easy to deal with by email. I sent him pictures and he was very precise in saying what he might offer. Then my wife and I had a jolly winter weekend in Brighton taking him the guitar and looking round Brighton. In fact, in the end, I heard from him that he had kept my guitar to perform with!

Some of the other UK dealers like Kent Guitars and Stafford Guitars are no longer working due to retirement or stopping trading. Also, took Marin into London Guitar Studio on Duke St in London initially but, to me anyway, they seemed neither particularly straightforward to deal with nor particularly interested in my instrument from the top maker in Granada! They did not offer a sensible price so I walked away.

The market was not very active when I was selling, and I suspect might still not be.

Hope that is helpful. I note you're in NE so it might not be.

Good Luck.   

:-)

• ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 168
    Thanks so far guys! I will probably list a few here in the near future, when I get some boxes, as I reckon it will have to be shipping, etc. when I sell. The Conde Hermanos is a lovely 1967 model (not a signed one) with an Esteso type headstock shape and a good rosette. A pro repair to the heel, but in generally great condition. The other Flamenco is a rather rustic-looking 1960-ish Alfonso Checa (Granada), made from cheaper woods but is astounding in sound. I will probably keep one of them, as long as I sell a few others. To be continued....
  • WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
    edited July 2023
    DavidR said:
    Had excellent experience selling top end Antonio Marin Montero with  one of the UK's few remaining dealers. UK importer of classical, flamenco, gypsy jazz guitars and guitar strings (guitars-maestosomusic.com) in Brighton in the winter.

This is very interesting as I have a Paul Fischer I've been thinking of selling.  Thanks for the tip!
    I never had a Fischer, don't get me started! Although I did have an Edward B Jones once which was very nice. I like to try them all. The strangest I have is an 80s Ibanez Artwood I got from the rep. It was a handmade prototype for Earl Klugh, but I doubt if he ever got to see it. Rosewood back & sides, cutaway, no electrics, unusual body shape, great guitar.
  • a.k.a. Bryn Jones, that's him yeah? I played some of those years ago when I played classical. Very nice indeed! There were/are some great English makers.
  • bugilemanbugileman Frets: 58
    I would list on the Fretboard, you'd be surprised how many people will be interested....Good luck 
    I think that's what I'll do, I'll get some pics and get moving, thanks to all!