Camera recommendation for recording gigs in dimly lit venues

Chris_JChris_J Frets: 140
Has anyone got anything they'd recommend?

To caveat..

I've already got very nice camera and videography equipment, but I cant set it up and leave it unattended at most of the gigs we play, and it would be nice to have some halfway decent recordings of us.

I want decent image quality. Not expecting it to compete with my big cameras, but an image that doesn't fall apart the moment the stage lights come on would be nice.

Built in mics that'll do a decent job of capturing the vibe in the room.

Small enough that it can be mounted almost anywhere, maybe on one of those gorillapod mounts.

Will record continuously for more than 30 seconds. So many cameras have limits on record time, which is no good if we're playing for a couple hours.

Maybe something akin to the Zoom Q2n 4k but better.... does such a thing exist?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Following (as a Q2n user looking for a better solution).

Another feature I'd want is WiFi image streaming so I can check the angle is okay when shoving the camera into a tight spot. Also remote record triggering would be a big plus.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    I asked this a while back, and the consensus seemed to be "use a smartphone instead". I ended up borrowing the Zoom Q2n from my work, seems OK enough, audio is good. Low light isn't great still though.

They've got an upgraded version now, the Q8 I think, but that seems to be the same lens, they've just upgraded the audio a lot, so it can take XLR inputs plus the on-board mics.

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/189139/gopro-or#latest
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3680
    edited July 2023
    I use a DSLR with a better quality fast zoom lens.. very sharp, zoom and great in lower light.  You might need someone to sit with it though.  My Canon has a screen that flips so I can see what it is seeing.

Not found a small camera or phone that gets close.  So I’d consider getting an operator and using what you have.

We usually have two DSLRs and a couple of GoPros among the gear or nearer us where it’s brighter and multitrack from desk and multicam in editor,