Monitor (display) recommendations por favor

What's Hot
Hellsbells87Hellsbells87 Frets: 104
edited July 2023 in Studio & Recording
Hi,

Firstly, apologies if this is a duplicate thread, I’ve a feeling there’s been a similar topic in the past. 

I’m in need of monitor advice. I have a M2 Pro Mac Mini and I’m considering an ultra wide screen to pair with it. It’ll be mainly used for music (daw) with more generic use around the edges. No heavy photo or video editing, gaming or movie watching. 

After a brief bit of Googling, I’ve realised I don’t even know what sort of things I should be worrying about. Screen type, resolution, connectivity, curve, brightness, compatibility, and so on… And there is a huge range of options. 

I’d really welcome some guidance on how to make a decision, or outright recommendations. Budget is up to £300-400, but, as always, less would be ideal. 

Many thanks!

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Which mac mini? I have an M1 and Huawei 34” curved ultrawide that works well, but the old 2012 quad core can’t handle it atall & shows black stripes either side
  • Hellsbells87Hellsbells87 Frets: 104
    Which mac mini? I have an M1 and Huawei 34” curved ultrawide that works well, but the old 2012 quad core can’t handle it atall & shows black stripes either side
    Thanks, good to know. Good point - it’s an M2 Pro. Original post updated. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    Do you want 4k or 1440p?
    Curved?

You can easily get a good monitor for that sort of money.
    Dell, MSI, ASUS and Corsair are my faves.

What size do you want?
    I like a 32"but some people prefer 27".

If you are using a Mac only then don't pay for high refresh rate.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24276
    I'm using a BenQ EW3280U

32 inch 4K.

Image quality is lovely - I spend my days in Excel, living the dream - but they are regular widescreen.
    Only 60hz refresh but with my gaming skills that isn't affecting my win rate! :D 

Amazon have them for £431 at the moment.

I have a pair of them for work. Hopefully one day someone will do an ultrawide that is the same as a pair of 32inch screens. I need the height on the screen rather than things like the Samsung G9 that are really like a pair of 27 inch ones. But then again that would probably need a really stupid GPU to run it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Which mac mini? I have an M1 and Huawei 34” curved ultrawide that works well, but the old 2012 quad core can’t handle it atall & shows black stripes either side
    Can you run EasyRes on that old Mac? I remember an app being necessary to fully use an ultrawide display on at least one of my old Macs. See https://apps.apple.com/us/app/easyres/id688211836?mt=12
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited July 2023
    I use a new M2 Mac mini with an ASUS Ultrawide… works great… BUT, I’d be looking for a 4K over an ultra wide at that price point.  What you may gain in width you will lose in vertical resolution, so less stuff on screen and possibly smudged text.

My Mac Mini setup is dual,monitor, one standard and one ultrawide.. I can put tracks and timelines on the ultrawide and the rest on the main monitor..

Dual monitor always for me.

Id go for two 4K 16:9 monitors at that budget though,

I have a dock for my mini which adds a second HDMI out and holds an SSD work files drive as well as having a bunch of USB and SD slots.. loads more than a Mac Studio.
    I use a new M2 Mac mini with an ASUS Ultrawide… works great… BUT, I’d be looking for a 4K over an ultra wide at that price point.  What you may gain in width you will lose in vertical resolution, so less stuff on screen and possibly smudged text.

My Mac Mini setup is dual,monitor, one standard and one ultrawide.. I can put tracks and timelines on the ultrawide and the rest on the main monitor..

I have a dock for my mini which adds a second HDMI out and holds an SSD work files drive as well as having a bunch of USB and SD slots.. loads more than a Mac Studio.
    I like dual monitors but I really don't like a side by side layout- you are either setting them asymmetrically, or you look straight at the bezels and have to twist.

I'm using a vertical arrangement at the moment.
    Bottom monitor is a Corsair Xeneon 32UHD144 and I have a Dell P2720DC on top.
    The Dell is being replaced with a colour accurate monitor fairly soon though.
    When working on video content I like to have the top display showing the image.
    When doing audio it is often persistent plugins- master bus stuff, meters.

It is useful for being able to watch Youtube/Netflix when working too.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:

I like dual monitors but I really don't like a side by side layout- you are either setting them asymmetrically, or you look straight at the bezels and have to twist.

I can barely play accurately to a beat in 4/4. How you’re watching Netflix while working, I’ll never know! 

Nevertheless, exceptionally valuable contribution, as always - thank you.

I’ll give the vertical screen arrangement some thought. I’m leaning towards ultra wide for no bezel in the middle of my view whilst also having sufficient space for multiple windows. 

Very interested in the doc solution, what are you using? The M2 Pro Mac Mini is well stocked for FireWire ports but more usb is betterer. 

What’s the big benefit of dual monitors for you?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28224
    I have a pair of 27-inch 4K Dells, on a fancy-pants arm so I can have one right in front of me (for gaming) or the two side-by-side (for productivity).

I'll have a look at the 8k x 2k Samsung ultra wide when it comes out, but I suspect it'll be ruinously expensive. Plus there are advantages to two separate monitors for monitor splitting and window control - I use Display Fusion with lots of triggers to move windows where I want them based on what I'm doing.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    octatonic said:
    Do you want 4k or 1440p?
    Curved?

You can easily get a good monitor for that sort of money.
    Dell, MSI, ASUS and Corsair are my faves.

What size do you want?
    I like a 32"but some people prefer 27".

If you are using a Mac only then don't pay for high refresh rate.
    Thanks, all instructive questions. 

Seems a shame not to go for at least 4k. And at least 32”. I say at least, but anything bigger is going to become a bit awkward so yes, 32”. 

Happy to not go for a higher refresh rate, but why is that specific to Mac?
    Sporky said:
    I have a pair of 27-inch 4K Dells, on a fancy-pants arm so I can have one right in front of me (for gaming) or the two side-by-side (for productivity).

I'll have a look at the 8k x 2k Samsung ultra wide when it comes out, but I suspect it'll be ruinously expensive. Plus there are advantages to two separate monitors for monitor splitting and window control - I use Display Fusion with lots of triggers to move windows where I want them based on what I'm doing.

Looks lovely. 

I’ll check out display fusion. 

I think I’m leaning towards the one ultrawide with the option of adding an additional smaller monitor if I really miss multiple screens. 

Very interested in the doc solution, what are you using? The M2 Pro Mac Mini is well stocked for FireWire ports but more usb is betterer. 

What’s the big benefit of dual monitors for you?
    @Stratavarious which doc are you using for your Mac mini?
    The dual vs ultrawide thing really comes down to whether the division in the middle is an issue or a boon for you.
    octatonic said:

I can barely play accurately to a beat in 4/4. How you’re watching Netflix while working, I’ll never know! 

I’ll give the vertical screen arrangement some thought. I’m leaning towards ultra wide for no bezel in the middle of my view whilst also having sufficient space for multiple windows. 
    Not everything I do is playing.
    Last week I spent a couple of hours just editing samples.
    It is laborious and boring work so I have things playing in the background.

Ultra wide are good but my issue wit them is they are often too wide for studio monitors to be in the optimal position, and usually not capable of 4k.
    If these are not issues for you then it should be a great fit.
    edited July 2023
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Not everything I do is playing.
    Last week I spent a couple of hours just editing samples.
    It is laborious and boring work so I have things playing in the background.

Ultra wide are good but my issue wit them is they are often too wide for studio monitors to be in the optimal position, and usually not capable of 4k.
    If these are not issues for you then it should be a great fit.
    Thanks, and yes I’m coming to a similar conclusion re ultrawide. 

Ok, good progress today. What are thoughts on curved vs flat? Or is it just personal preference? 

So the front runners are: 

- Dell 
       - flat £310 https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-32-4k-uhd-monitor-se3223q/apd/210-begy/monitors-monitor-accessories
       - or curved £380 https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-32-curved-4k-uhd-monitor-s3221qsa/apd/210-bfvu/monitors-monitor-accessories

- Samsung 
       - ultrawide £300 (seems like a lot for the money, what am I missing?) Samsung LS34C500GAUXXU 34" WQHD Monitor - 3440x1440, 100Hz, VA, Displayport, HDMI, Freesync https://amzn.eu/d/76LooGX ;

- MSI
       - curved £350  https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2062431

- BENQ 
       - flat £300 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/315-benq-ew3270u-4k-monitor-3840x2160-hdr-va-60hz-freesync-4ms-12m1-300cd-m-vesa-dp-hdmi-usb-type-c

- LG 
       - flat £350 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/315-lg-32un650p-w-uhd-monitor-ips-3840x2160-5ms-60hz-amd-freesync-10001-hdmi-dp

If I don’t care about curved, ultrawide or 32” vs 34”, which of these would you plump for? Same question if I did care about flat vs curved. 

Anything else I’m missing?

Thanks again!
    Sporky said:
    The dual vs ultrawide thing really comes down to whether the division in the middle is an issue or a boon for you.
    I think issue. I’ve also considered adding a smaller monitor at a later date, depending how I get on with an ultrawide. 
    Of that list, only the LG has an IPS panel, the rest are all VA. That'd seal it for me - the LG wins. 
    Sporky said:
    Of that list, only the LG has an IPS panel, the rest are all VA. That'd seal it for me - the LG wins. 
    Amazing so we’ve refined the problem statement…

Best 32”-34” 4k IPS monitor for £300-400. May or may not be wide or curved. Back to google. Other search engines are available. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    Get two 32” … the gap thing is a non-issue generally if focus is music production or video or pretty much anything else.  You will barely see a media music professional using single screen. All the main software has dual screen modes.

Logic will split screen in the view menu… tracks on one, faders and Auxes on other… same with Final Cut.. etc. edit lines on one, the preview on other.

Even with Garageband, you can have Garageband on one and the amp sims and plug-ins on other.

Learning tunes… score/chords on one… YouTube or DAW on other.

Dock is 13 in 1 Mac mini dock with HD slot.  I put a 2TB Samsung SSD in.. all worked plug and play from plugged in.  Impressed.