Keef’s 5 string open G

robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
So I’m playing around with the open G tuning and the Tele I am using is strung with 9’s (much lighter than I normally play) so I had the idea of restringing with the 42 as the low G down to the 17 as the high D. 

It plays well for me but is it going to put too much strain on the neck? I’m guessing that to tune a 42 up to G is quite a bit more tension than the usual E? Or am I worrying needlessly? It is only 2 tones I suppose! 

Cheers 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnagsSnags Frets: 5382
    If you're Keefing it you've entirely lost the tension from the low-E anyway :)

I've got a tele in that trim (although I never play it and ought to sell it). I just stuck 10s on it, left the low E off, and then tuned it to open G.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27077
    I don't see any issue other than maybe needing a tweak of truss rod. An 11-52 set would have a 42 as an A anyway, and those are far from outlandishly heavy strings 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 738
    Thanks both - I was worrying unnecessarily! Might even try a set of 10’s - a 46 for an A ain’t that bad! 

• PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    Tune it to D. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7150
    I currently have four of my guitars in Open G and have never worried about string gauges.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway