Comments

• Well, it's absolute bollocks for a start. Any article which describes moving up from 432Hz to 440Hz as "detuning" clearly has more interest in a conspiracy theory than what really happened.

As it happens, the standardisation to 440Hz was pushed by us and the Americans. Also, their calculations are off - what they describe as the the natural frequency of the universe is a) not actually the natural vibration of the universe, and b) not 432Hz.

In other words, they're idiots.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    Perhaps you'd be more relaxed and open minded about the whole thing if you were listening to music at 432hz!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited September 2013
    There are frequencies that do create some symmetrical patterns. :)

I don't think the "experiment" was precise enough though. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    ddlooping said:

Only if the plate has resonances which match those particular frequencies. If you used a different plate, different frequencies would produce those results.

There are no 'absolute' frequencies in mechanics - only in quantum physics, eg spectral lines of radiation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    ddlooping said:

Only if the plate has resonances which match those particular frequencies. If you used a different plate, different frequencies would produce those results.

There are no 'absolute' frequencies in mechanics - only in quantum physics, eg spectral lines of radiation.
    Thanks for the info, ICBM. :)

What are the  'absolute' frequencies in quantum physics?

P.S: that's why we all have a different "brown" sound? :D

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26669
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:
    Maybe not, but there is one lesson to take from this article: intelligence is relative, while stupidity is both absolute and infectious via the online medium ;)
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    edited September 2013
    ddlooping said:
    What are the  'absolute' frequencies in quantum physics?

The absolute frequencies are the spectral lines created when photons are emitted and absorbed by elements - these have exact, universally-fixed frequencies that correspond to the energy differences between electron levels within the atom. There are others as well but these are the best-known and the simplest to understand :).

But in mechanics, everything is a 'sliding scale' - there are no fixed points, only relationships; so to claim that any particular vibration or audio frequency is more special than any other is nonsense.

Maybe not, but there is one lesson to take from this article: intelligence is relative, while stupidity is both absolute and infectious via the online medium ;)
    And indeed infinite, as Einstein correctly stated.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• sounds like a load of old tosh to me :|
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBM said:
    But in mechanics, everything is a 'sliding scale' - there are no fixed points, only relationships; so to claim that any particular vibration or audio frequency is more special than any other is nonsense.
    Unless it resonates with you. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28533
    On clicking the link I get a warning page from Sophos:

High Risk Website Blocked
    Location: www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/08/440hz-music-conspiracy-to-detune-good-vibrations-from-natural-432hz.html
    Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.
    Return to the page you were previously viewing.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    You do know that concert pitch used to be the D below the current "A"?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Sporky said:
    On clicking the link I get a warning page from Sophos:

High Risk Website Blocked
    Location: www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/08/440hz-music-conspiracy-to-detune-good-vibrations-from-natural-432hz.html
    Access has been blocked as the threat Mal/HTMLGen-A has been found on this website.
    Return to the page you were previously viewing.

False positive?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28533
    ddlooping said:
    Could be.

Or it's just trying to protect my brain from the insane jibber-jabber on that site. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I can't help but think people are taking this is a little bit too seriously