Anyone know anything about Switch Vibracell basses?

What's Hot
JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 631
I've seen one for sale locally. I'm not particularly considering buying it, but it looks interesting in an ugly kind of way so wondered what the deal was with these.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    Judging by a cursory Interweb search, the deal with Switch Guitars was the Vibracell synthetic material. This could be persuaded into ergonomic shapes that would be wasteful to carve from wood.  

Just another experiment in the tradition of the Ibanez Ergodyne and Gibson Sonex.

Some owners reported that the instruments sounded better after pickup and control electronics changes. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Looks like something @HarrySeven may already have more than one of :).

One of the guitar models looks like an ancestor of the Parker Fly too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    ICBM said:
    Looks like something @HarrySeven may already have more than one of :).

Indeed. ;)

However, the operative term here is *had*.

Vibracell - another guitar-related innovation which was going to change the world, but didn’t.

I’ve owned a few, including the Roland-Ready 6-string. As FF reports, somewhat dull and lifeless, sound and feel-wise, despite the marketing hyperbole.

Definitely worth acquiring for curio-value if cheap (which they should be). Any seller claims re. rarity, etc to support overinflated asking prices should be ignored.

https://www.joness.com/gr300/pdf/vibracell/switch_guitar_catalog_2005.pdf

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    the operative term here is *had*.
    Oh, the joys of owning a solid fuel range. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I used to have a single humbucker Wild in bright orange. I put a passive emg in it and it was quite fruity sounding after that. Tuning wasn't the best, again against the marketing hype. But I gigged it as an occasional guitar alongside my Strat. Was always ridiculed by my band mates.