Video of Yngwie playing close up.

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
OK, I realise that the ego Swede is not that admired a guitarist around here, and that is fair enough, but I personally like some of his stuff, and I can certainly appreciate his ability.

I just found a video showing a close up of him playing Far beyond the sun, and I found it interesting. His left hand floats around in an incredibly effortless way. Lovely vibrato and bends. It's a cool video as it shows three views simultaneously. His picking hand also looks incredibly economical. 

The sort of playing I like generally is very 'physical', eg like Philip Sayce, it's good to see other stuff though.

I've always fancied having a really good try on a scalloped neck at some point. I picked one up in Coda many years ago for an unplugged noodle, but that's my only experience. Maybe I will make one for my strat as a new project ...

And just by the way, I thought he would have skinnier fingers, more Vai-ish. He doesn't have sausages, but they are quite thick. 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited July 2023
    Also the amount of volume knob control and pickup selector switch work he does is impressive. Always listening to his own tone and adjusting it. Ugly music though. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10415
    What I do like about it is he plays it like he means it. There's a voice there and it's one that's come from finding his own way forward rather than the voice of someone who's got good copying other people note for note .. and sadly using the same Helix \ Kemper etc patches like so many guitarist these days. 
    Not my kind of music either though and not something I would listen to generally. It is something to admire technique wise though. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7201
    I need to see clips like that to remind me of why I liked him so much back then .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Mental but bloody brilliant :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    edited July 2023
    Going by the video, his action looks a lot lower than I thought he had. I always thought he played with very high action but 8-48 gauge strings. Doesn't seem that high at all.

He's certainly a machine of a player. At a Birmingham guitar show around 10 years ago, he turned up to play a set after Jennifer Batten. He was late (due to a delayed flight), came on stage, blew everyone away then buggered off. He didn't miss a note and played with fire. That performance made me realise how he still gets to drive around in Ferraris and wear leather trousers 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Not my cup of tea but there is a visceral energy to his playing that is missing from many of technical guys 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    axisus said:
    And just by the way, I thought he would have skinnier fingers, more Vai-ish. He doesn't have sausages, but they are quite thick. 

Why?

Having thin fingers has nothing to do with your ability to wiggle them quickly.
    Have you ever seen Danny Gatton play?
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Chris Brooks on Instagram has the same efficient picking technique mastered. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    octatonic said:
    axisus said:

Why?

Having thin fingers has nothing to do with your ability to wiggle them quickly.
    Have you ever seen Danny Gatton play?
    No reason other than I thought he would have. I've seen before that finger shape makes no difference to ability.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    edited July 2023
    One of my favourite guitar instrumentals. I'm surprised by how much improvisations he did in that video. 

Obviously he's a complete loon and he's capable of producing some of the most embarrassing music you could ever hear (see his blues album for evidence of that) but in this mode he's untouchable. That tone and vibrato!
    axisus said:

I've always fancied having a really good try on a scalloped neck at some point. I picked one up in Coda many years ago for an unplugged noodle, but that's my only experience. Maybe I will make one for my strat as a new project ...

I’ve had a Malmsteen strat for a few months now, primarily because arthritis in my fretting hand is starting to make its presence felt and I wanted to see if it would be easier to bend strings and do big vibrato etc.

It is easier, and to boot it’s a really really good strat. It takes virtually no adjustment to get used to the scalloping and despite everyone talking about pressing too hard going out of tune etc I’d say you’d have to be pretty ham fisted for that to happen for lead playing. Energetic barre chords… maybe need to be a bit less physical. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4181
    Love yngwie , have had 2 scalloped a Japanese yngwie and a regular Japanese strat 
      I think the Japanese are shallower scallops . I’ve got a gf air bit of yngwie stuff .I like Joe stump too who is a clone and a teacher at Berklee (the Boston one not the California one ) 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited July 2023
    My 1st ever Starlicks Video was the Malmsteen one so I've got bit of a soft spot for good ol' Yng.

Never tried a scalloped neck, must try 1 day and if I could get a Strat to sound like that I'd be a happy man..

EDIT - and thinking about it, he is the reason for my love of large headstock Strats too...
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 85
    edited July 2023
    He might have gone completely off the rails musically (for me anyway) after Eclipse, and of course he's completely out there but you got to respect Yngwie. Unbelievable talent, followed his own path and never backed down. Complete legend. Trilogy is the reason I picked up a guitar (still trying to figure out how he does it). Hadn't listened to him in a longtime but I heard Icarus Dream Suite the other day....wonderful. 
  • JotaJota Frets: 464
    Zapple said:
    He might have gone completely off the rails musically (for me anyway) after Eclipse, and of course he's completely out there but you got to respect Yngwie. Unbelievable talent, followed his own path and never backed down. Complete legend. Trilogy is the reason I picked up a guitar (still trying to figure out how he does it). Hadn't listened to him in a longtime but I heard Icarus Dream Suite the other day....wonderful. 

Facing the Animal is a great, great record.
  • ZappleZapple Frets: 85
    Jota said:
    Zapple said:

Facing the Animal is a great, great record.
    I’ll give it a listen!
    For anyone with Truefire All Access this course is up now. I've had a quick look through - it's standard Yngwie tutorial fare - i.e. he doesn't really explain anything in detail he just plays it but at least you have tabs and can loop/slow down.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    I much prefer early Yngwie to any of the other shredders. I also like the other bands of the scene he came out of.  
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 586
    Lewy said:
    For anyone with Truefire All Access this course is up now. I've had a quick look through - it's standard Yngwie tutorial fare - i.e. he doesn't really explain anything in detail he just plays it but at least you have tabs and can loop/slow down.
    I had a look too ... tabs that are (sadly and unusally for Truefire) wrong. The trilogy one is tabbing notes that make it impossible to play and don't match the video immediately above it.

Not a problem if you're paying attention but if you're going JUST from the tab it's going to be a struggle.

But either way, Yngwie is a bloody legend, that's amazing and yes the blues album should be avoided at all costs!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11595
    edited August 2023 tFB Trader
    I was fond of his playing from the Alcatraz days up till the early or mid '90s but his ego did seem to be/get out of control.
    I think his playing was very cleanly executed back then - still has it going on now but not quite as cleanly executed as it used to be. Always laughed that he denied the Blackmore influence so much. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGQ9jzTbB0

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!