SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

McIlroy AJ30. SOLD

CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
edited August 2023 in Acoustics £
Amazing 2001 McIlroy Jumbo, really beautiful woods and craftsmanship. Now over 20yrs old, one of Dermot’s earlier guitars after parting from Lowden, and he was making very few per year, and the attention to detail is very evident. Properly matured into a monster guitar, huge sound, massive bass, works in every tuning imaginable (mind blowing in DADGAD). Brilliant strummer as well as finger picker. I have owned various Lowden O’s right up to the top spec ones, and the McIlory is just better imo. 

Sitka top with truly amazing cross silking, top quality EIR, a Brazilian Rosewood bridge, which I really believe is a better choice than ebony or EIR as much less damping of sound, and I believe these were on all the early McIlroy’s before presumably CITES necessitated a change of approach. 

Incredible guitar and highly versatile compared with smaller models. Condition is exceptional for its age.

Full spec in pictures.

£2,295. £2,095. SOLD

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• PCT57PCT57 Frets: 42
    Gorgeous looking guitar. I thought the top was cedar when I saw it but that spruce has darkened to a beautiful colour. I've just bought a McIlroy and I have to say they are a top class build and great value. Good luck with the sale
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    @PCT57   Congrats on your new McIlroy!   Fully agree, they are world class guitars, and yeah the top is one of the nicest bits of spruce I have seen, and is super responsive. Hard to believe this guitar is 22yrs old when looking at it, but it definitely has that fully open sound of a guitar with some years on it.

Still here folks. Might take a close offer. 
  • Got to bump this one up & would love to own it myself but the timing's not right...yet! These AJ models are special & they are "Swiss Army knife" of the McIlroy guitars. Been looking for the equivalet AJ model in walnut for a few years but if some of my own guitars are moved on, I'll be in touch. Best of luck.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4297
    edited August 2023
    Thanks @Dyldog16  ! 

Bump and a price drop to £2095. Impossible to get a better guitar at this price. 
  • pruddprudd Frets: 669
    Pm sent
  • Congrats to the new owner & well done, Steve. This one was haunting me & it's a relief it has gone to a deserving home. I'm certain they will be very happy with it.