New Amp Day - ‘78 Silverface Deluxe

What's Hot
marxskimarxski Frets: 250
edited August 2023 in Amps
Just picked this up today from deepest Colchester. Looks like Katy was in town as well.

https://imgur.com/a/q8lvbkH
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KoaKoa Frets: 120
    Lovely, silver face Deluxe Reverb is my favourite amp ever! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marxskimarxski Frets: 250
    Koa said:
    Lovely, silver face Deluxe Reverb is my favourite amp ever! 
    Thanks - been meaning to find one for a while! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1151
    Much prefer the look of a silverface 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4842
    Lovely! Looks ace, unlike the pink Evoque..... which looks shit in all colours but somehow even shitter in pink :)

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickBNickB Frets: 241
    Boromedic said:
    Lovely! Looks ace, unlike the pink Evoque..... which looks shit in all colours but somehow even shitter in pink :)
    Agreed. Amp looks great. Why on earth would anyone drive around in a sex toy pink car? 
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    Delux Reverbs are truly great amps. I had a ‘73 for quite a few years. It was blackfaced by Brindsley Schwartz and sounded really sweet. Ended up doing a bunch of gigs that needed more headroom and I stupidly sold it. Don’t think I’ve ever quite got back to that reactive, goldilocks sound, when the situation allowed it to be set just right (which was a lot of the time tbh!)
    Even with some VERY nice amps on the way. Enjoy!!!
    4on6 said:
    Delux Reverbs are truly great amps. I had a ‘73 for quite a few years. It was blackfaced by Brindsley Schwartz and sounded really sweet. Ended up doing a bunch of gigs that needed more headroom and I stupidly sold it. Don’t think I’ve ever quite got back to that reactive, goldilocks sound, when the situation allowed it to be set just right (which was a lot of the time tbh!)
    Even with some VERY nice amps on the way. Enjoy!!!
    Thanks - it does sound really sweet. I say a touch more mids than my old late 60s Vibrolux that l sold during hard times. 

My next door neighbour is an amp freak, electronic engineer and runs a studio. It’s incredibly convenient! The Deluxe has the classic Fender vibrato issue… tick tick tick tick. But he says it is usually fixed by dressing some wiring and putting a capacitor across the opto bulb. 
  • Lucky find - you don't see many of those just dumped in the road.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've a 78 super reverb that I picked up a year or so ago... Great amps, and whilst I can't speak for the deluxe, I was amazed at a les paul through the super. Great score and enjoy!
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've a 78 super reverb that I picked up a year or so ago... Great amps, and whilst I can't speak for the deluxe, I was amazed at a les paul through the super. Great score and enjoy!
    Thanks!
  • So how you getting on with this amp now you’ve had it a while? Trying to decide on one of these or the reissue handwired version. 
    I’m liking it a lot - I got my amp guy to give it a once over and it’s all good. He commented that it has a particularly nice reverb sound which I really can’t argue with! Only thing he did was dress a couple of leads to stop the ticking tremolo. Been recording cleans with it mostly. If you push it a bit there is a sweet spot where it starts to compress but is still clean with no break up. I’ve used it through an attenuator and has a great driven sound but I still gravitate towards my Marshall 18 watt for that.

I hear those handwired reissues are great and of course they are Blackface specs (not that I know what difference that makes sonically)

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5053
    Lovely amp, with the infamous pull boost knob, which is of course best left firmly pushed in! Enjoy.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • marxski said:
    I’m liking it a lot - I got my amp guy to give it a once over and it’s all good. He commented that it has a particularly nice reverb sound which I really can’t argue with! Only thing he did was dress a couple of leads to stop the ticking tremolo. Been recording cleans with it mostly. If you push it a bit there is a sweet spot where it starts to compress but is still clean with no break up. I’ve used it through an attenuator and has a great driven sound but I still gravitate towards my Marshall 18 watt for that.

I hear those handwired reissues are great and of course they are Blackface specs (not that I know what difference that makes sonically)

Sounds amazing, congrats. Your amp guy isn’t by any chance Matt Sampson is it? 
    marxski said:

Yes - we are neighbours! All the years I’d been in Bristol I’d never met Matt until we moved and just got talking in the street… 
  • marxski said:
    marxski said:

Yes - we are neighbours! All the years I’d been in Bristol I’d never met Matt until we moved and just got talking in the street… 
    Ha ha, great guy, I did afew eps with him in my younger days and my daughters have both recorded with him in recent years. Great guy and knows his stuff 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    marxski said:
    marxski said:

Ha ha, great guy, I did afew eps with him in my younger days and my daughters have both recorded with him in recent years. Great guy and knows his stuff 
    Big up to the Winterbourne Massive! 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    marxski said:

Big up to the Winterbourne Massive!

but Ive been on a diet

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • shes not owned that for years,  was repossessed during one of her bankruptcies. I saw it near oxford a few weeks ago
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    is it #Ulez compliant?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>