Next Bass

What's Hot
chor808chor808 Frets: 73
Hello All,

I picked up a used Harley Benton Bass off here to get started and whilst it does a job it's a bit of a boat anchor so it's going to get sold..Looking for suggestions for a cheap (ish) light weight bass as I'll be called into band duty soon and don't want a bad back :-(

I've played a band mates Fender P bass (I think) and it's a world away from the HB but way too much money. Your suggestion could be just play your mates bass :-)

Thanks in advance..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3223
    Next logical step up is a squier precision/jazz/rascal. It really depends what sound you want, scale length etc. I’ve also got a hofner ignition and it’s a fantastic short scale, hollow body, very light weight thing if you can get past the McCartney association. There’s so much choice and loads of s/h offerings that’ll fit in the same price range. Have you considered the scale, pickups, (etc) that you are after? 
  • If you’re budget is tight, a Squier P bass will make a good workhorse with a decent set of strings, good luck in your quest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    Next logical step up is a squier precision/jazz/rascal. It really depends what sound you want, scale length etc. I’ve also got a hofner ignition and it’s a fantastic short scale, hollow body, very light weight thing if you can get past the McCartney association. There’s so much choice and loads of s/h offerings that’ll fit in the same price range. Have you considered the scale, pickups, (etc) that you are after? 
    No I've not really thought about scale length pickups etc, probably because I wouldn't know what to look for. I'm going to look at the squier ones...smooth bass sound I think is what I'm after. 
  • louis_LLMlouis_LLM Frets: 126
    I’ve gone through a few basses over the last couple of years and the best ones I’ve had are the squier Classic Vibe P and J basses. They punch well above their weight and price! 
  • chor808chor808 Frets: 73

It's the Bass I bought from you last year! I reconnected the pickup in it and its been fine just heavy. I'll put it back on the for sale section can't remember what I paid but it was under 100....There is an Ibanez GSR180 on for 100 quid, not sure if they are heavy light etc....it is near me too, might be worth a go..
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14489
    edited August 2023
    chor808 said: 
    There is an Ibanez GSR180 on for 100 quid, not sure if they are heavy light etc....it is near me too, might be worth a go.
    The Ibanez Soundgear GSR180 is the equivalent of the Cort Action and Squier MB. The wood used is not the choicest so the weight varies from example to example. 

Being a budget model, the pickups, controls and hardware are not especially good. In the longer term, you will probably want to upgrade them.

IMO, the critical aspect of the GSR is neck stiffness. If it bows excessively under string tension, walk away.

EDIT
    If I were in your position, I would be looking at a couple of instruments listed in the Fretboard classifieds. Namely, an Ibanez SR300 and a Squier VM Jazz Bass, both £200.

Either of these would be giggable straight away. Their pickups, electronics and hardware are not going to embarrass you in front of your bandmates. Ask the Squier seller to weigh it.

I am not affiliated with either seller.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Instrument weights can vary so I'd recommend asking a seller to weigh it before buying, or trying it in person before committing to buy.  If you can find a lightweight Squier Classic Vibe in budget they're really good for classic sounds.
  • Also worth considering a wider/padded strap, as that can help things be more comfortable too
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3223
    chor808 said:

It's the Bass I bought from you last year! I reconnected the pickup in it and its been fine just heavy. I'll put it back on the for sale section can't remember what I paid but it was under 100....There is an Ibanez GSR180 on for 100 quid, not sure if they are heavy light etc....it is near me too, might be worth a go..
    Of course, should have put two and two together. Sorry! It was a nice jazz bass that, but heavy. :)

Precision bass and add a set of flatwounds would be my advice if you want a nice smooth sound. I upgraded to a lovely fender Japan 70s Precision, I was after a similar sound to you (I think) and the precision nailed it.

Can’t comment on the Ibanez, but the Squier classic vibes have a great reputation, so definitely worth trying a few. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27126
    edited August 2023
    Everyone should have a Precision imo. Squiers are fantastic these days - those recent 40th anniversary ones look fantastic. Buy from a shop you can either visit yourself, or one that will check weights for you. 

Peach have one that's 8.4lb right now - that's pretty good.

https://www.peachguitars.com/squier-vintage-edition-40th-anniversary-precision-bass-maple-satin-dakota-red.htm

But either way a wide strap is a good idea. I don't love padded or stretchy ones but I use 3-inch suede Levys for bass and they're lovely. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72469
    One of the two Ibanez Soundgear basses mentioned in threads here would be pretty good, if you’re after something more modern-sounding - they’re far better than their price point suggests and usually quite light and well-balanced.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    I have a Squier Vintage Mod PJ, and it's easily my favourite bass so can recommend.  It's versatile and weighs half of my Vintage Mod Jazz.
  • Bod said:
    I have a Squier Vintage Mod PJ, and it's easily my favourite bass so can recommend.  It's versatile and weighs half of my Vintage Mod Jazz.
    Seconded. (I have a 2014 example - albeit upgraded in the pickup, controls and bridge departments.)

Sensible weight, nice neck. With a few upgrades, these Squiers can give a Fender MIM Standard model a good run for about the same outlay.
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    edited September 2023
    Bod said:
    Seconded. (I have a 2014 example - albeit upgraded in the pickup, controls and bridge departments.)

Sensible weight, nice neck. With a few upgrades, these Squiers can give a Fender MIM Standard model a good run for about the same outlay.
    @FunkfingersI'm curious to know what you upgraded with.  I'm feeling the need to firtle with it - possibly by adding a preamp.  Not looking to spend too much - is there anything you'd recommend?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14489
    edited September 2023
    The Gotoh-inspired OEM high mass bridge is prone the bending where the slim baseplate transitions into the chunky perpendicular section.

Direct retrofit replacements include Fender's own Hi-Mass BadAss II clone and the Gotoh 201B. I seem to recall widening the Gotoh's countersunk fastening screw holes to accommodate the OEM Squier screws. (The alternative would have been plugging and redrilling the holes in the bass body to fit the narrower Gotoh screws.)

I did not rate the stock pickups - especially not the J single coil. I tried EMG-GZR and Bartolini 8P/9JL before settling on DiMarzio DP146 Will Power Middle and DP148 Ultra Jazz Bridge.

If money were no object and I were feeling perverse, I would be tempted to invest in Oil City Pickups Hardman P and Overkill models.

One disadvantage of the side-mounted jack socket is that space is at a premium around the tone pot. I chose to use a CTS "dime" A250k pot.

FWIIW, the EMG-GZR system includes small Solderless™ pots. These do not foul the terminals of the Squier barrel jack. It is necessary to modify the output cable.

Advertised retail prices for the GZR PJ set vary between £140 and £155. Hence, £90 would probably be a reasonable price for a pre-owned set.
  • 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    If money were no object and I were feeling perverse, I would be tempted to invest in Oil City Pickups Hardman P and Overkill models.
    Oil City Pickup — the perverts choice. We are going to use that :-)
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I shall expect royalties! :-p
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd love to hear a demo of those overkill Oil City pickups