Quad Cortex for bass and guitar with one FRFR cabinet

brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
edited August 2023 in Bass
Anyone using a Quad Cortex for both Bass and Guitar - in an ideal world using one frfr. 

I’m not gigging, but wanting to use QC to record and also then practise with a good sounding FRFR. 

Tried Helix years ago but the QC looks quite interesting…. Especially if I could sell my guitar amp, bass amp and bass cab. Plus some pedals!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    I don’t see why not.

I do this with a helix, albeit with a pair of studio monitors. Stereo fx are fun! 

I did use to use a Yamaha DXR10 but the fan noise was annoying for low volume even though the tones were good.

If I wanted a live rig like that again I’d get an RCF745A. 
  • brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
    I don’t see why not.

I do this with a helix, albeit with a pair of studio monitors. Stereo fx are fun! 

I did use to use a Yamaha DXR10 but the fan noise was annoying for low volume even though the tones were good.

If I wanted a live rig like that again I’d get an RCF745A. 
    Many thanks. I think we have the same aversion to fan noise as each other. Drives me bonkers. 

My only experience with FRFR was a Line6 powercab. No good for bass though apparently. 

Think I’ll just have to try a QC and see. Headrush 12” looked like an option for the FRFR…  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    If it’s only for house use, get studio monitors. They are always super quiet in operation and are always loud enough. My HS7s are hugely loud. 

The Powercab just isn’t made for bass. It’s the wrong choice. Unfortunately most of the cheaper FRFR PA type cabs are fan cooled. That’s why I’d get the RCF, but it’s damn expensive.

The Barefaced Big Baby 3 is a FRFR bass cab that works great for guitar as well with a modeller but would need a power amp, so that’s expensive too.

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 720
    If it’s only for house use, get studio monitors. They are always super quiet in operation and are always loud enough. My HS7s are hugely loud. 

The Powercab just isn’t made for bass. It’s the wrong choice. Unfortunately most of the cheaper FRFR PA type cabs are fan cooled. That’s why I’d get the RCF, but it’s damn expensive.

The Barefaced Big Baby 3 is a FRFR bass cab that works great for guitar as well with a modeller but would need a power amp, so that’s expensive too.

Thank you. That’s good to know! The Barefaced was on my list of one popped up secondhand I’d go for it. All set for monitors, but do like the feel from a 1x12” in the room as I can get away with it at the house. 

Is there a power amp you could recommend? 

I’d be off loading a ton of gear, so it should still work out cheeper and a much more streamlined recording solution too.