How much should I ask for his Ibanez SR500

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
Around 20 years ago Mrsnb57 expressed an interest in learning bass, so I bough her this Ibanez, she probably played it half a dozen times and its been in a gig bag under a bed ever since….luckily. had the foresight to remove the battery.
There is a little deterioration of the finish on the bridge, but overall in great condition, new battery and all the actives work….
How much should I ask for it?

Ibanez SR500

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14491
    The correct answer is that you should keep it.

Da juice man from Reverb, he say, £194 - 315. Add something for the padded bag. 

Luckily for my wallet, IOW is too far away to make the round trip to collect viable.

GLWS
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3662
    These are really good basses for the money (I've had one for around 8 years?).  Approx £650 new at the moment (I don't think that includes a gig bag, mine didn't have one).  Working on a 2/3rds rule for near new condition that would be £435, I'd expect that's more than you paid for it?

It all depends upon how desperate you are to sell but, if it were me, I'd be inclined to sick it up for £400 + del for a quick sale and start scouring the ads for what to buy with the cash.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72471
    These are unfortunately very difficult to sell for what they should be worth, I think because Ibanez insist on bringing out apparently almost identical new versions which are much cheaper...

I had a beautiful SR765 5-string which would have been around £700 new twenty years ago, and it took me about three years to sell it, finally for £300 last year - which is what I paid for it thinking I was getting a bargain, and should have been a warning sign!

A 4-string might be slightly easier to sell, and the bag adds something, but I would be very surprised if you could get more than £350 for it, and if you want to sell it quickly you’ll probably need to take less, maybe under £300.

Sorry :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    These are unfortunately very difficult to sell for what they should be worth, I think because Ibanez insist on bringing out apparently almost identical new versions which are much cheaper.
    It may also be because the model is blighted by Bartolini MK1 "import" pickups. (Of similar *excellence* to MEC Dynamic Correction models!)

Prospective buyers need to factor in the expense of upgrading to US-made Bartolini MK4 series pickups. That could easily cost as much as the used SR500 itself.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited August 2023
    Thank folks

Ill try it locally first for a couple a hundred quid and move it on, seems a shame for it not to be used…no point  keeping it as its just net being used
    I the meantime try and find a box for possible mailing

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

It might be wiser to strike an exchange deal. Trade the bass against a guitar, amp, pedals or recording kit of equivalent notional value.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    It might be wiser to strike an exchange deal. Trade the bass against a guitar, amp, pedals or recording kit of equivalent notional value.
    Good idea! (As chances are whatever I get for it will fuel GAS..)