Can you put nylon classical strings on a steel string guitar?

What's Hot
For reasons too boring to go into I accidentally ordered a set of quite nice Suarvez? classical strings.

Instead of them gathering dust I am pondering putting them on my Collings OM which is obviously recommended for steel strings. 

My questions are would they sound awful together? And more pertintly are they likely to do a precious acoustic any damage? I’d try and be careful about knitting them through the bridge pins etc

(I can see putting steel strings on a classical guitar might be unwise, but not sure about the other round).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    1: They won't do any harm.
    2: You are going to have to do something clever to fix the strings in place at the bridge end.
    3: You might have to do something even cleverer to get them through the holes in your tuning machines.
    4: The tension will be all wrong and it will probably buzz like crazy
    5: And it will probably sound like crap.

I am very confident about 1 to 3, fairly confident about 4, and ready to be proven wrong about 5. 

You won't break anything, so why not give it a go?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 939
    edited August 2023
    Thank for the very clear break down of possible downsides

Re: point  4. Is’nt theoretically possible to resolve any potential tension maladjustment on the standard tuning EADGBE set up, just by tightening/ loosening the strings from there,  to hear if they sound better in another tuning?
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    I Want to know if anybody shreds electric guitar with nylon strings.
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5463
    A good question @Smellyfingers! In theory, sure - but how high would you have to go? My guess is that the strings would snap long before you got to standard tension (using "standard" to mean the 60-odd kilos you get from a typical set of 12s). Classical strings are usually around 40kg - maybe that would be enough.

How much does a neck move when you take the strings off? I've never measured it.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3704
    Thank for the very clear break down of possible downsides

Re: point  4. Is’nt theoretically possible to resolve any potential tension maladjustment on the standard tuning EADGBE set up, just by tightening/ loosening the strings from there,  to hear if they sound better in another tuning?
    I imagine it would be the strings that suffer; to avoid buzzing you’ll need to increase the tension possibly above the breaking strain of the string but probably not as high as a steel string so little risk to your guitar. 

But as @Tannin says your biggest challenge will be getting them in the tuners followed by fitting them to the bridge - they’ll most likely have a plain end. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 264
    Regarding the bridge fixing - that is pretty easy to get around by tying a large knot on the bridge end of string, perhaps with an old metal ball end cut off from an old steel string set. As for the tuners - all you have to do is tie them in the same manner as you would a classical guitar string on a classical tuner to prevent slipping (particularly on the trebles).

There are some classical guitars which have bridge pins and a steel-strung style headstock and similar methods are used.

Although the choice is limited, there are nylon string sets available with ball ends.

Having said all that, there may be problems with tension and buzzing. It probably won't sound that great either as the the guitar's build would have been designed for heavier steel strings. It shouldn't do any harm though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    The neck will have been set-up for the tension of steel strings, so I would be wary of fitting nylon strings. Unless it’s a very cheap guitar, I would suggest avoiding the logistical issues and effort involved in fitting strings the guitar wasn’t designed for. 
  • CarpeDiem said:
    The neck will have been set-up for the tension of steel strings, so I would be wary of fitting nylon strings. Unless it’s a very cheap guitar, I would suggest avoiding the logistical issues and effort involved in fitting strings the guitar wasn’t designed for. 
    I sort of agree that it would’nt  work as an everyday solution, and I would certainly need time on my hands to attempt.

But there is an element of curiousity in experimenting with a combination of string tension and radical style fretting to see if it could produce some kind of ‘unique’ sound, that no other steel string acoustic has ever produced.

Collings are the opposite of cheap guitars and this one quite rare all mh example, but unless my experimentation with tension is going to strain the neck or the connecting material between the pins and the bridgeholes, is there any actual risk?
    The tension of nylon strings is about half that of steel so I wouldn't worry about the guitar.

This article looks at it from the perspective of putting steel strings on a classical but you can probably flip the logic :)
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10416
    I Want to know if anybody shreds electric guitar with nylon strings.
    Well you wouldn't hear anything with it plugged into an amp so it would be very quiet shredding
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Tannin said:
    1: They won't do any harm.
    2: You are going to have to do something clever to fix the strings in place at the bridge end.
    3: You might have to do something even cleverer to get them through the holes in your tuning machines.
    4: The tension will be all wrong and it will probably buzz like crazy
    5: And it will probably sound like crap.

I am very confident about 1 to 3, fairly confident about 4, and ready to be proven wrong about 5. 

You won't break anything, so why not give it a go?

@Tannin , thank you for the helpful post. I use an LP Jr. copy electric guitar with nylon strings as my at home lounge guitar. It is quiet enough that I can play it while my wife gently sleeps.

Tannin's points 1 is correct. Point 2 is true for the OP, @Smellyfingers , as he has probably got standard classical strings. See @GTC 's post to deal with that. I bought ball-ended classical strings so the attach just like electric strings. Point 3 is not true unless you have a PRS with winged locking tuners (I tried it) or something similarly unusual. Point 4 is true. Because classical strings (even high tension strings) have less tension that steel strings, I relieved the truss rod tension a tad and raised the bridge a little and moved the bridge back a bit to correct the intonation with a higher bridge; now mine plays beautifully. Point 5 is subjective, so anyone and everyone can have a valid opinion.

And no, you won't break anything. I intentionally did not widen the nut slots nor do anything to the saddles just in case it didn't work and I could return it to its original state. In fact, it so works for me that I stripped all the electrics out to make it simpler and lighter, although I have the electrics back in place at the moment, not that they work with nylon strings. A piezo bridge plus preamp will add another £700 to the £200 guitar so while that would be a neat thing to do, I am not rich enough.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • drofluf said:
    The tension of nylon strings is about half that of steel so I wouldn't worry about the guitar.

This article looks at it from the perspective of putting steel strings on a classical but you can probably flip the logic :)
    Thank you, but I can’t see the link to the article.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    edited August 2023
    I’ve done it to quite a lot of semi-antique ‘folk’ type guitars which were designed for steel strings, but are too fragile for that much tension now and often with design features more suited to nylon anyway.

You will need to double (or triple) knot the strings or use old ball ends from a set of steel strings to make them work with the bridge pins.

The nut grooves are likely to be too narrow for the plain strings. You can probably get away with just resting the strings on top unless the nut is very tall.

You will need to pull the strings as tight as you can before you tie them to the tuners, or there will be too much wrap on the posts before they come up to pitch, especially as they stretch - which nylons do, a lot.

The action will be too low and it will be very buzzy. You will need a much higher bridge saddle. You will also probably need to slacken the truss rod as the neck will be a bit too straight, although it won’t make as much difference.

Other than that it will work. It may sound OK, but it’s likely to be a bit quiet and might not have a lot of depth.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2023
    Thanks @ICBM Most of that is extremely  helpful on the how to specifics.

But there is no way that a retard like myself should think about messing with a £6k Collings saddle or Truss Rod, it’s just a step too far- what were you thinking?

But there is no way that a retard like myself should think about messing with a £5k Collings saddle or Truss Rod, it’s just a step too far- what were you thinking?
    It won’t actually do any harm, and it’s all reversible - apart from widening the nut slots, which if done correctly will still take steel strings - although I certainly wouldn’t advise doing it unless you want to keep the guitar like that.

But yes, it might be simpler just to say don’t :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited August 2023
    ICBM said:

But there is no way that a retard like myself should think about messing with a £5k Collings saddle or Truss Rod, it’s just a step too far- what were you thinking?
    It won’t actually do any harm, and it’s all reversible - apart from widening the nut slots, which if done correctly will still take steel strings - although I certainly wouldn’t advise doing it unless you want to keep the guitar like that.

But yes, it might be simpler just to say don’t .
    Thanks - I did wonder if adjusting the truss rod and saddle on a high end acoustic is reversible in a similar way that adjusting the steering column in a Bentley is for qualified mechanics, but not by the lumpen plebs who drive them.
    drofluf said:

Thank you, but I can’t see the link to the article.
    That's down to inate stupidity on my part :)

4-reasons-why-you-cant-swap-nylon-and-steel-string

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Acoustic guitars usually have a whitish saddle which is an insert into a dark hardwood bridge. Just buy a spare, taller saddle so that the Collings original is there for when you decide to return to normal. I found that the nut works fine without filing; depending on the nut and the angle of the headstock you will soon discover whether any strings pop out or not.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 236
    @Smellyfingers nylon strings on a Collings? :o 
    'Why' is the question I'd be asking, not 'how'!
    Would you run an Aston Martin on tractor deisel?
    Best of luck with it, but if it was me I'd fit steel strings & give the Savarez nylons to someone with a guitar built for them.
     :) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ah, I remember now... you're inspired by my little Florida charity shop guitar :).

In truth, it doesn't sound as good as it looks, and the main reason it's playable with nylons is because it definitely wouldn't be (apart from for slide) with steels now - the action is 4 to 4.5mm at the 12th fret, and that's with the bridge saddle not much higher than the wood!

As a means of making a 70-year-old plywood guitar a bit better than just an ornament - great.

As a sensible thing to do with a high-end steel string guitar - not so much.

The correct solution to your problem is of course to buy a classical guitar :).