Challenging tunes - need inspiration

What's Hot
Hi all,

I fanny about a lot on guitar and end up playing the same old stuff (usually aiming to nail Marty Friedman solos, mostly up to 80% speed!).

Can anybody suggest some cool tracks to try?  It doesn't need to be metal.

Preferably, if you're aware, those with good Guitar Pro tabs.

Cheers!
Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24349
    Racer X - Technical Difficulties

Victor Wooten - Classical Thump.
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    Jeeze, so many things that could bring on the pain. 

Probably no Guitar Pro tabs, but if you fancy a challenge I’d always recommend getting some Charlie Parker heads under the fingers. Donna Lee is an obvious, almost cliche choice, but even the more “sedate” tunes like Billie’s Bounce or Relaxin’ At Camarillo are a proper workout. Even taking the tempo out of the equation, the phrasing, rhythm and the way they layout on the fretboard are a real challenge for the brain and fingers. 

More guitar-centric things could be:

Steve Vai - Eugenes Trick Bag (you might know how to play this already)

Mike Stern - Chromazone

https://youtu.be/KG7fIFuQTMw?si=IWg3b7GcQSZnu_Xl

John Scofield - The Nag, Protocol. 

https://youtu.be/sp-4HR4pENQ?si=hG1RRR7iUzvdDF9B

Not a tune, but certainly a technical challenge - Frank Gambale’s Lick That Slurped LA

https://youtu.be/Txp661gRKEw?si=S9pjILvrEQvOxmt9

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1037
    There’s a Michael Romeo song called ‘Divide and Conquer ‘ with a great sweeping segment in the solo, and a nasty picking bit  :) (I thought I had it down until I realised I’d got the bpm out by 20….!) It’s actually a really good study as it’s very sequenced and there’s loads of cool ideas in it that you can use and steal ! I have it in GP if you want it. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Been learning this, it's good fun

Fairly accurate transcription/play through here

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    I remember perfecting the Gambale lick when I was like 25. Over half a lifetime ago. Couldn't play it now, or anything close to it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I am a huge fan of Greg Howe's playing, it's almost impossible, until you suddenly get his style under your fingers, and then it makes sense. I don't think he's ever played a minor pentatonic. He's utterly incredible. If he were Steve Vai, this would be his For the Love of God:

Also his bassist, Al Caldwell, is totally awesome and an unsung hero.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited August 2023
    viz said:
    I remember perfecting the Gambale lick when I was like 25. Over half a lifetime ago. Couldn't play it now, or anything close to it.
    I just remember giving up after 2 bars lol 

Jump Start is a great tune (the whole album is actually). Forgetting all that flash stuff though, what sets Greg Howe apart from all the others of that ilk for me, is his great sense of swing, pocket and groove. 
    totes!
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    Kill the guy with the ball - Vai

^ I just love that song (and video)
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    roberty said:

Thanks! Been trying it. That YouTube channel has a load of tabs for similar things for download. 
  • roberty said:

Thanks for posting this tab I watched the Timmons vid the other week 
  • Everbody loves some Extreme.....He Man Woman Hater and Get the Funk Out are awesome. Modern stuff try some Animals as Leaders, plenty of cool techniques and interesting harmonic stuff going on. Do some Tim Miller for really cool chords and unique lead playing technique stuff, Scott Henderson for stuff more traditionally rooted that goes off a cliff into mental land. I also second learning bebop heads, they are tricky as usually written for sax and teach you lots about jazz language. Dream Theater obviously has lots of very technical sections if you want to develop a specific technique. Holdsworth if you really want to push both your ear harmonically and melodically as well as your physical limits. Not for the faint hearted that though. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    roberty said:

Thanks for posting this tab I watched the Timmons vid the other week 
    It's great isn't it. I've got through to the end now and it's pretty clean and tidy. Been dipping in and out over the past few weeks. The very end is just beautiful with the parallel minor first inversion. Always been curious about the harmony in borap
  • EvoEvo Frets: 308
    Here's a beginning of a rabbit hole for you if you've never checked this guy out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7W3JvZBJQ
  • Steve Morse. The Well Dressed Guitar

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=neyRYmQQgZU&pp=ygUjc3RldmUgbW9yc2UgdGhlIHdlbGwgZHJlc3NlZCBndWl0YXI%3D

very tough 1 note per string alternate picking exercise to start with and an exhausting work out at the end. I know why he has arthritis!