Recommended retailers

What's Hot
I thought I'd start a thread about the experience of buying a guitar from one place or another. 

I'm going to start by mentioning Project Music in Exeter. Now I haven't got the guitar yet (it won't be finished until sometime in the northern summer), but I have every expectation that the whole thing will go smoothly and pleasantly.

Lee at Project Music has been great to deal with. Clear and helpful, ready to go out of his way to assist, and very well-informed.  They stock an excellent range of good quality acoustics from (among others) Lakewood, Lowden, McIlroy, Maton, Furch, Taylor, Atkin and National. I'd be happy to by another guitar from Project Music any time.  

I'll also mention The Acoustic Centre in Melbourne. Not many readers here will be buying guitars in Australia, but you never know. For example, suppose you are visiting on holiday and fancy buying a Cole Clark or Maton in Oz (where they are much cheaper). I sold my Cole Clark 12-string and bought my WA May (a high-end Maton Custom Shop guitar) there and was struck by how easy they were to work with. They have a great range of guitars from (for example) Taylor, Maton, Martin, Cole Clark, Collings, Lowden, and many others. 

Anyway, if you are anywhere near Exeter or Melbourne, those two are good places to go. 

Who are your favourite acoustic guitar dealers?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I've had good experiences with Frailers in Runcorn and Hobgoblin in Manchester, above Johnny Roadhouse, as well as PMT. It's all about them having a good amount of stock and leaving you in peace to play them and make your mind up.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 707
    Coda were great when I was shopping for an acoustic. A great selection. There were some covid restrictions at the time so shopping was by appointment but was left alone to get on with it unless I wanted a different instrument to try. 
  • The only 2 places I've bought acoustics from are GAK in Brighton and Guitar Village. Both good experiences when buying mine. Most recent one was my D28 from Guitar Village. Took 2 visits as I wasn't fully decided between the HD28 and the D28. But I picked the D28 ultimately as it felt nicer. Sales staff friendly and helpful and sorted out the finance pretty quick.
  • SmellyfingersSmellyfingers Frets: 939
    edited September 2023
    I bought a second hand guitar from Glenn's guitars in his flat/ shop in North London, who has turned a hobby or passion into a profession.

I think he is particularly keen on Gibson's but has a changing selection of other high end acoustics, of varying ages, some vintage ones.

I think because he has so much specialized experience in acoustics, he is more unlikely to have lemons or mediocrities.

I found him to be both straightfoward and interesting , but as with every dealer, it is unwise to go in thinking you HAVE to buy something... they will always oblige. Glenn is not high pressure though.
  • Coda, Fair Deal, and Charlie Chandler's.
  • For vintage its Tony at Replay Acoustics for me. Fantastic pieces, delightful feller. Just a magical experience. 
  • Coda music.
  • Coda Music.
  • Coda Music - no one beats their service... did I mention them ?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WafflesOnHorsebackWafflesOnHorseback Frets: 106
    edited October 2023
    Recent experience of shops in the last 3 months:
    Lytham St Annes Guitars - superb service and fine collection of Santa Cruz acoustics. Guitars can be tested in a relaxed and friendly environment (coffee and olives provided). A very pleasant experience.
    Coda - excellent selection of fine acoustics and helpful, knowledgable staff. Very accommodating in all areas. Guitars can be tested in a relaxed and friendly environment. Coffee provided.

EDIT: Oct 2023 Coda: Opinion changed due to recent query that was met with somewhat of a smart arse reply. So Coda are off my list.

GuitarGuitar Birmingham - errrr, nah.

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    My Flambeau in 1984 from Jeavons in Newcastle, now defunct. 
    My Lowden from The Guitar Shop, Newcastle, where owner Brian would leave you to play. He retired & shop is now closed.
    A Fender 12 string from Sounds Live Newcastle, now also disappeared.
    My wife's Tanglewood from Making Music, now gone.

There seems to be a pattern emerging...... =)

Newcastle still has a PMT, GG and Windows music shop (guitars, violins, brass  pianos etc), but in deference to other people I haven't bought an instrument from them.  Hey  I could take offers from them to stay away!
     :o

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3701
    I’ve also had a great experience with Project Music; I was buying a used guitar from them and they called me to say they’d discovered some damage when they were checking it prior to sending it out. Offered me either a price reduction or a discount on a new one. 

Would definitely deal with them again 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 788
    RickLucas said:
    I've had good experiences with Frailers in Runcorn and Hobgoblin in Manchester, above Johnny Roadhouse, as well as PMT. It's all about them having a good amount of stock and leaving you in peace to play them and make your mind up.
    Yes, I liked Frailers when I went there. I also like Forsyths in the center of Manchester, but it's been a few years since I've been there.
  • Coda & Guitar Village for me. 

I haven't bought an acoustic from Coda but have had a bunch of other stuff and they're always fantastic. They did also do me a quick video of a guitar I was thinking of buying a while back - an OM with non-standard woods. I wasn't quite enough to push me over the edge but their efforts were spot on. 

GV I've bought from multiple times both in person and online. Even with a 4000-mile delivery they were fantastic. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Peach have always been great for me. I’ve bought acoustics blind from them twice and both guitars have been excellent. Quick delivery plus an interest free credit option that’s really simple and fast to set up, what’s not to like? The photos on their website are of the actual guitar you’ll receive too. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5458
    boogieman said:
     The photos on their website are of the actual guitar you’ll receive too. 
    That is always a nice touch. The Acoustic Centre do that too. 
  • boogieman said:
    Peach have always been great for me. I’ve bought acoustics blind from them twice and both guitars have been excellent. Quick delivery plus an interest free credit option that’s really simple and fast to set up, what’s not to like? The photos on their website are of the actual guitar you’ll receive too. 
    Ah, that's good to hear. I really want to visit them because their stock looks fantastic. Have some lovely Lowden's I see. Not an easy drive for me though so good to get a recommendation! Have they still got the appointment thing?

Ta