Solo of the Month (SotM) #98 - Challenge

What's Hot
stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
edited September 2023 in Making Music
This is the 98th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open and ends at midnight 23rd September 2023

Discussion:
Thanks to @susbemol ;;for this backing track

You can download the backing track from Soundcloud below:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sotm98-susbemol-pumping-ls?si=b4e02d3a22354e42a16d9ad7cb7dcb3c&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

Title: Pumping Ls

Structure/Chords:

|:   E    D   |   D  |  A    E   |  E  : |
|:   G   |   F#   |  E  |  E  : |
|:   A/B  |   Bm   |  Em/B   |   A/B   : |
|:   E    D   |   D  |  A    E   |  E  : |

The bass pedals in E for the first and last 8 bars

Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

There should be headroom to record your solo. Try to set a level without excessive master limiting, because we want to avoid loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm98-2023-09?si=b75ad6b2e7334c159172b6a2abbcec07&utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Is this the sort of stuff Larry Carlton plays? I don't think I've ever tried playing to anything like this before! 

Great backing track though @susbemol ;;

Can't wait to hear what everyone comes up with
  • Thanks, gents. It's definitely got more than just a little LC influence!

I hope people will have lots of fun with it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oooh...nice!

What's the tempo? Is it gridded?
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    edited September 2023
    The tempo starts at 92BPM gradually going up to 93BPM for verse 2 (around 26s in) and then to 94BPM for the chorus (around 46s). It then goes back down to 92BPM for the last half-time section (around 1m:06s).

Edit: oops, there is another tempo change right at the end, it goes down to 88 and then 68 for the ritardando.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2023
    susbemol said:
    The tempo starts at 92BPM gradually going up to 93BPM for verse 2 (around 26s in) and then to 94BPM for the chorus (around 46s).

It then goes back down to 92BPM for the last half-time section (around 1m:06s).

So that's why.

I was trying to work out the tempo in Reaper but couldn't quite get it to fit on the grid throughout the whole song. So I gave up and thought I'd get away without mentioning it.

It's not a competition.
    edited September 2023
    Sorry for causing trouble, everyone!

The intention was to have little tempo variations to make it slightly more interesting and more like playing it with a live band.

Personally, I would just try and lock in with the drums and bass with no click other than a count-in.
  • susbemol said:
    The tempo starts at 92BPM gradually going up to 93BPM for verse 2 (around 26s in) and then to 94BPM for the chorus (around 46s).

So that why.

I was trying to work out the tempo in Reaper but couldn't quite get it to fit on the grid throughout the whole song. So I gave up and thought I'd get away without mentioning it.

Nope ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemol said:
    Sorry for causing trouble, everyone!

The intention was to have little tempo variations to make it slightly more interesting and more like playing it with a live band.

Personally, I would just try and lock in with the drums and bass with no click other than a count-in.
    I've been meaning to do something like this for ages...nice one!
    edited September 2023

For anyone using REAPER, here is a project with the backing track already setup with the tempo changes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gO6hrSUXgpBLK7hIQbhc6gdsAw5cvbk9/view?usp=drive_link
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • susbemol said:

So that why.

Nope ;)
    I've got one thing to say to you

:|

Which is what you spotted previously, when I didn't include a gap between the : and the |
    I almost missed that one this time on the repeat signs.

It's not a competition.
  • If anyone's OCD is going nuts, this is what my Studio One track looks like with tempo adjustments:

edited September 2023
    susbemol said:

So that why.

Nope
    I've got one thing to say to you

Which is what you spotted previously, when I didn't include a gap between the : and the |
    I almost missed that one this time on the repeat signs.

While we're talking about chord charts, I recently came across a website which makes this task really quick and easy so I thought I'd mention it in case it is useful to anyone moving forwards. It's totally free as well: https://www.chordsheet.com/

For example, here is how you would write a chord chart for this track: 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've only jammed it a few times via Bluetooth from SoundCloud. I hadn't noticed the tempo change until I came back to this thread. Obviously 1bpm differences aren't noticeable outside of looking at a grid
  • Look at all the goodness in this thread already!

But still the rest of the forum seem more interested in bitching about the latest Andertons/Victory vid ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyway, why is it necessary to know the exact tempo? I hope there's no programmed guitar fakery going on here :)

It's not a competition.
  • Look at all the goodness in this thread already!

But still the rest of the forum seem more interested in bitching about the latest Andertons/Victory vid ;)
    Haha. I was going to make this comment on the congrats thread but will instead post here:

I'd like to take this opportunity to go on record and publically state that while I used a Victory amp to record the winning SOTM 97 solo I am not Lee Anderton or any of the other 8 owners of said company and I do not have any other vested financial interests I am legally required to disclose
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Where is the youtube detective bloke when you need something properly investigated?

Isn't he called DFS or something? ;)
  • Anyway, why is it necessary to know the exact tempo? I hope there's no programmed guitar fakery going on here :)

My thoughts too.  I just jam along to the backing track beat and if I mess up, stop, CTRL+Z and CTRL+R until my fingers hurt :lol: 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited September 2023
    susbemol said:
    Where is the youtube detective bloke when you need something properly investigated?

Isn't he called DFS or something?

Are you being an armchair critic now? :)

It's not a competition.
  • Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    edited September 2023
    I absolutely love this @susbemol ;; - it's wonderful!

MASSIVE thumbs up from me

...and pumping fists too!

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.