Using Behringer X Touch "Compact" with XR18 ?

GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
edited September 2023 in Live
Hi, i expect this is another of my dumb questions , can an X Touch Compact be used to control an XR18, whilst also using an I -Pad ?
Thanks.
Edited to describe as Compact 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes.  You basically need to set up a local network.

• Musicwolf said:
    Yes.  You basically need to set up a local network.

Thanks Musicwolf,sorry  i missed out the word Compact, do you know if the X Touch Compact works in a similar way ?
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    As I understand it, you can only use the regular xtouch, not the compact.  
  • John_P said:
    As I understand it, you can only use the regular xtouch, not the compact.  
    Thanks John P, i suspect you're correct, i've looked all over Y/T & no one has posted about using the Compact with an XR, except an asian guy & sadly i have no idea what he's saying.
  • The X-Touch compact is basically a generic MIDI control surface.  You can use the PC Editor to assign MIDI commands to the faders / rotary encoders to match the MIDI implementation on the XR-18.  I've not used the Compact (I have the X-Touch + extender and an XR-18) but you should be able to hook the Compact to the XR-18 via MIDI (not Ethernet) and still be able to use an iPad.  I've certainly been able to send MIDI messages to my XR-18 from my Helix whilst having laptop or iPad hook up.
  • Do you already own the Compact and the XR-18?  If not, I'd think very hard before buying the Compact.

I originally bought my X-Touch to use primarily with the XR-18 and with Cubase as a secondary function.  I was warned by an experienced producer that I'd end up using it the other way around, and that has indeed been the case.  I've never taken the X-Touch out live but, I did later buy the additional extender because I was using the X-Touch so much in the studio.
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    edited September 2023
    Musicwolf said:
    Do you already own the Compact and the XR-18?  If not, I'd think very hard before buying the Compact.

I originally bought my X-Touch to use primarily with the XR-18 and with Cubase as a secondary function.  I was warned by an experienced producer that I'd end up using it the other way around, and that has indeed been the case.  I've never taken the X-Touch out live but, I did later buy the additional extender because I was using the X-Touch so much in the studio.
    I have an XR18 but not an X Touch, over the years i've got to really dislike using the apps, touchscreens etc., they're good for doing an out front mix, but on stage i really miss the knobs & faders of the old analogue desk, so i'm thinking of buying an x touch, or maybe changing to a PreSonus 16-0-2 desk, but that would have to be used & the XR has been 100% reliable & i've read posts about reliability issues with the16-0-2, so i've just about talked myself into an X touch,but it will have to be the full strength one  ..
    Thanks for all the replies.