Ok to use guitar leads to connect monitor to audio interface?

What's Hot
Just got a set of Eris monitors but hadn’t thought about cables. 

Am I ok to use guitar leads to connect my interface (Scarlett Solo) to the monitors? I remember reading it’s a bad idea to use them to connect an amplifier to speaker using them but the output from the Scarlett will be relatively low I imagine. 

On a short run is there any benefit in using 1/4”-1/4” or is 1/4” to phono as good?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Yes you can.

Ideally you use TSR/XLR cables with 2 conductors plus ground =  a balanced connection. Assuming the monitor has balanced inputs. (Cheaper ones often don't.)

But for short runs it doesn't matter anyway; TS jack-to-jack or TS-jack to RCA phono works just fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Thanks
  • It's fine. I use ts guitar leads into my Eris speakers as the unit I've connected doesn't have balanced out and it works perfectly well. Your Scarlett will have balanced out so you could eventually buy balanced cables if you want down the line but you don't have to.

Balanced out basically is used to cut down on electrical interference in lengthy cable runs. It's not absolutely necessary but it's preferred going into a PA when you've several meters of cable, and lots of other connections and cables which might interfere. I've used both ts and trs into the PA at rehearsals with short cable runs and I can't hear any noise at "gigging with an unmiced drum kit volume". I dare say it would be a different matter if I was a member of Rammstein playing an arena gig. But it's definitely not a problem at home volume 

It's a different matter to the situation with speaker cables altogether.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    Thanks - the Scarlett and Eric are only 50cam apart, I used 1m cables as that's all I had. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited September 2023
    Earlier Scarletts didn't have balanced inputs, just RCA.
    If you have a later version then it will have TRS input, as does the Eris, so if possible it is preferable to use TRS but as other have said you can just use a TS cable esp if it is short.

If you get interference then buying some short TRS cables. 
    Cheap ones will go for £10 on Amazon, or a bit more for something of higher quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The don't use guitar cables is only true if you are using passive speakers and are connecting an amplifier to the speakers.
    TRS vs TS is only for noise elimination. I have found that even over short runs it can eliminate mains hum especially if running parallel to a mains cable.