Heaven and hell- how?

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
So really enjoyed this on yt.

how did they get it sounding so meaty particularly in solos? Normally in a guitar bass drums, it all drops out in the solos but nothing like that here. Any informed views?

https://youtu.be/e65Pirra6AQ?si=bKIwmmBm4uakT9aG

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    edited September 2023
    My favourite versions are the DIO solo stuff with Vivian Campbell.
    I think Iommi  probably has the more authentic tone though.

(edit- thought you meant the track, not the band, and I missed out on this line up when RJD died just before they were supposed to headline at High Voltage festival- Saw him just before on his solo tour with Doug Aldritch at the Astoria though, glad about that )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Call me crazy, but I believe there’s a second guitar in there, hard panned to one side. Since there’s keyboards there too, could be the same guy?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24324
    Mickeyji said:
    Call me crazy, but I believe there’s a second guitar in there, hard panned to one side. Since there’s keyboards there too, could be the same guy?
    you might be right there. Definitely something else going on under the solo. Annoying really - I like a 3 instrument band to sound like a 3 instrument band!

Geezer's bass tone certainly helps. Far too many bassists go for loads of low and treble and no mids.
    But as Sabbath / Queen / ZZ Top / Kings X etc etc show, a mid heavy P bass with more than expected overdrive really fills the sound out.

It's not a great tone alone - sounds too middy and farty but it's so fat in the mix. The farty drive actually sounds quite clean in the mix, the true tone only shows isolated.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    Mickeyji said:
    you might be right there. Definitely something else going on under the solo. Annoying really - I like a 3 instrument band to sound like a 3 instrument band!
    Scott Warren from Dio's solo band played keyboards on the live dates - could that be it?
    Could be!

It's very low in the mix - fills out the sound just enough while giving the illusion of there just being the regular band up there.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27064
    edited October 2023
    Yeah, Geezer has a huge amount of meat in that bass tone but there's definitely another guitar playing some chords under the solos. Very quiet, but it's there

TGP/Wiki appears to confirm: 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/anyone-know-toni-iommi-heaven-and-hell-live-recording-setup.2182988/
    From the H&H wiki page...
    Ronnie James Dio – lead vocals, keyboards (2006–2010)
    Tony Iommi – guitar (2006–2010)
    Geezer Butler – bass (2006–2010)
    Vinny Appice – drums, percussion (2006–2010)

Live musicians
    Scott Warren – keyboards, guitar (offstage) (2007–2010)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    I think it works rather well sonically but it‘s a bit of a derogatary move to park the additional guy behind the stage.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    Yeah, Geezer has a huge amount of meat in that bass tone but there's definitely another guitar playing some chords under the solos. Very quiet, but it's there

TGP/Wiki appears to confirm: 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/anyone-know-toni-iommi-heaven-and-hell-live-recording-setup.2182988/
    From the H&H wiki page...
    Ronnie James Dio – lead vocals, keyboards (2006–2010)
    Tony Iommi – guitar (2006–2010)
    Geezer Butler – bass (2006–2010)
    Vinny Appice – drums, percussion (2006–2010)

Live musicians
    Scott Warren – keyboards, guitar (offstage) (2007–2010)

Don't forget, Geoff Nichols spent as much time in sabbath as Ozzy, and write the song that gave us heaven and hell and holy diver
  • How long as it before Spike Edney was given any recognition for his live work with Queen?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

How long as it before Spike Edney was given any recognition for his live work with Queen?
    Far too long!
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1343
    Mickeyji said:
    I think it works rather well sonically but it‘s a bit of a derogatary move to park the additional guy behind the stage.
    In these days of miming, playing to track or shoving holograms on the stage - actually having something playing parts live on tour whether out front or hidden is a bonus.

As regards Spike Edney - he took a bow with the rest of Queen at the end of the Live Aid gig and for the rest of the Magic tour dates?
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    I saw Queen live in probably 1983 and Spike Edney was visible on stage then (he wasn't employed for every number I think) so if Queen hid him it wasn't for long. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.