Older FireWire interfaces

What's Hot
Is it worth getting an older high end second hand FireWire interface over a more modern budget interface?
Say I was looking for an expandable 8in/8out device?
Would be running on an M2 Mac.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    I used to use a Digidesign 003r with my Mac Pro and a FireWire adapter, worked a treat 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • But are there drivers for apple silicon. I use a new Mac mini.
    I can see there are drivers for some Motu interfaces, how long will they be supported mind.

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    For me, it was worth it. An RME Fireface 800 for £280, prior to that a Fireface 400. It works with Apple Silicon Macs with two dongles. And it works on my 2012 iMac with one dongle.

RME and driver support for legacy hardware is awesome. At some point they will stop, of course.

I don't know about other makers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Any one have experience with the Motu 828 MK3 Hybrid interface.
    Looks like it has apple silicone drivers, could fit the bill and bid on eBay is currently at £60
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    The Edirol FA101s can be found dirt cheap and are very good.  I used to daisy chain a couple for plenty of in/outs for outboard gear.  I used mine with a macbook pro 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14433
    edited September 2023
    I have a workaround for my dear, old MOTU Ultralite mk3. This involves a FW400 - FW800 cable, FW800 - Thunderbolt adapter, driver software for the Ultralite mk3 Hybrid and a kernel tweak to prevent the OS from blocking legacy hardware.

During my panic to reach this solution, I purchased a MOTU Audio Express 6x4 Hybrid. (FireWire and USB C.) I no longer need this. Hence, it is for sale.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Ended up just getting a Behringer 1820, totally adequate for my needs. 
    Works perfectly.