iMac for music production

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Hey @Philtheguitar - I hope you don't mind if I ask a slightly different question..... I have a MacBook Pro. I've had it nearly 3 years.  I bought it with the intention of transitioning from my old digital 8 track to Logic Pro or garage band. I am ashamed i have been too lazy to make the transition and continue to stick with the familiar though restrictive 8 track.....

Anyway what I wanted to ask was why you said your Mac is on the way out..... how can you tell?  Can you fight it?
    thanks 
    Hey @Placidcasual79 - great question.
    Those that know me will know that I am the kind of person to keep hold of things until the TRULY need replacing - I'm not the guy who has to have the latest phone, latest computer etc.
    My MacBook has served me very well for the almost 15 years I've had it. However, the OS is no longer supported in many regards, so I can;t update certain apps, resulting in sluggish internet browsing, unable to update to later versions of my DAW etc etc.

I've had a SSD fitted (500GB) whuch has kept it in the game, so I'm still happily able to produce music, but the limitations of my machine are very apparent when I use it.

Thats really interesting - thanks @Philtheguitar - I very much appreciate your keep it until it can't go on stance. The disposable culture of today is harmful and unsustainable...... it's the sort of context that makes it hard to dismiss claims that some products have built in obsoletion (though I am not smart enough to really determine these things)

So your Mac was notably slower and unable to accommodate or comply with updates? Did you feel fitting the SSD was helpful? Sounds like a good move..... would you mind telling me roughly how much something like that might cost?

No problem - I don't do this professionally, so I don't need to keep up to date. So Long as I'm able to be creative, I'm happy. I fully understand industry professionals needing powerful gear, especially those who work in film editing, engineering, sciences etc where huge processes take place in an ever evolving digital realm.

Basically my HDD died on me, so I had a black screen of death. Cost me about £150 to get it fixed all in.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey @Philtheguitar - I hope you don't mind if I ask a slightly different question..... I have a MacBook Pro. I've had it nearly 3 years.  I bought it with the intention of transitioning from my old digital 8 track to Logic Pro or garage band. I am ashamed i have been too lazy to make the transition and continue to stick with the familiar though restrictive 8 track.....

Anyway what I wanted to ask was why you said your Mac is on the way out..... how can you tell?  Can you fight it?
    thanks 
    Hey @Placidcasual79 - great question.
    Those that know me will know that I am the kind of person to keep hold of things until the TRULY need replacing - I'm not the guy who has to have the latest phone, latest computer etc.
    My MacBook has served me very well for the almost 15 years I've had it. However, the OS is no longer supported in many regards, so I can;t update certain apps, resulting in sluggish internet browsing, unable to update to later versions of my DAW etc etc.

I've had a SSD fitted (500GB) whuch has kept it in the game, so I'm still happily able to produce music, but the limitations of my machine are very apparent when I use it.

Thats really interesting - thanks @Philtheguitar - I very much appreciate your keep it until it can't go on stance. The disposable culture of today is harmful and unsustainable...... it's the sort of context that makes it hard to dismiss claims that some products have built in obsoletion (though I am not smart enough to really determine these things)

So your Mac was notably slower and unable to accommodate or comply with updates? Did you feel fitting the SSD was helpful? Sounds like a good move..... would you mind telling me roughly how much something like that might cost?

No problem - I don't do this professionally, so I don't need to keep up to date. So Long as I'm able to be creative, I'm happy. I fully understand industry professionals needing powerful gear, especially those who work in film editing, engineering, sciences etc where huge processes take place in an ever evolving digital realm.

Basically my HDD died on me, so I had a black screen of death. Cost me about £150 to get it fixed all in.

thanks Phil - appreciate you taking the time to share that..... its worth knowing. I'll persist with my MacBook I think - I just need to pull my finger out, put my 8 track away and. learn Logic. 

How did you learn to use the DAW?
  • @Placidcasual79 ;
    If you are creating what you want to create then why change your equipment?
    If you have reached your limit with what you have then yes, maybe it's time to move on.

I learnt through lots of trial and error, and from youtube tutorials.
  • @Placidcasual79 ;
    If you are creating what you want to create then why change your equipment?
    If you have reached your limit with what you have then yes, maybe it's time to move on.

I learnt through lots of trial and error, and from youtube tutorials.
    thats just the thing Phil - the 8 track certainly has its plus points - its quick and easy to use.... but even though I haven't used a DAW I suspect there is a lot more I could do that simply isn't possible on the 8track - it simply doesn't have the capacity to edit or manipulate sound

thanks