My 2nd Bass Build

What's Hot
Some of you may remember a while back I posted a couple threads asking for suggestions on hardware for a bass, as I don't know a huge amount about such a topic. But I settled on Hipshot Ultralites (the proper ones) and an A style bridge. So let's document the journey here :)
Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'll recap on the body so far;
    Spalted Beech Tbird style with an Elm top. I don't have any pre shaping photos so we'll have to skip that part for now.

Self proclaimed Luthier and guitar building addict, professional man-cave dweller Website . Facebook . Instagram . YouTube
  • I have however got pics of the neck glue up.
    Beech, Walnut, Beech

Seemed like a good excuse to get the #7 plane out hehe.

• Next the truss rod channel...
    The way I do this has changed a few times but I've settled on simply using the guide fence on my palm router to set the bit in the centre of my squared up billet, and cut the channel in 3 passes of 3mm each. Then I'll check the rod for depth and take more if required. I'm settled on using truss rods from Allied Lutherie in America, more expensive than others but it's clear to see why when you get hold of one.

• Then I machined the fretboard, cut the slots and glued it on. I wanted to go for 21 frets but unfortunately the Wenge I lined up to use wasn't quite long enough. A few more mm would have been ideal but I wasn't confident the tiny bit remaining would have held so I had to go for 20 frets.

And glued it on 

• Once that was glued and the heel was shaped i set about the neck pocket.
    I used 3 bits of ply with straight edges for a quick and easy template. Line up the neck and hold in place with a clamp (this also allows a small amount of adjustment to get it perfect) and draw round the heel. Then simply line up my ply to create the pocket template, placing it slightly over the pencil line to make the pocket a fraction tight - the neck and pocket can be sanded to fit then.
    I start off by taking the bulk out with a forstner bit in my drill press and then use a 1/2" router to get most of the way, swapping to 1/4" to get a tighter radius in the corners.
    Again though, another process I neglected to take pictures of. 

• At this point I drilled the machine head holes in the headstock.
    I tend to drill through with a 2mm pilot bit and use a forstner for the actual hole. This leaves a nice clean hole and I can drill from both sides the avoid any spelching. 

Now this is where disaster struck and I'm still working on the fix, so watch this space...
    Basically I decided to thin the heel a little by passing through my thicknesser, great idea.
    The headstock is angled back slightly and instead of turning the machine off and waiting for it to stop before removing the neck... you can see where this is going... I didn't! and it took a nice chunk out of the back of the headstock, d'oh!
    I didn't get any pics but I've thinned the head and plan to put an overlay on the back and see how it looks. Fingers crossed 
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 409
    Nice !  Is that a other neck for firebird style build in the background? 
  • @PeteC that's actually for a Destroyer type custom order
  • Well, carrying on from this balls up I have now repaired the headstock and added some reinforcement too.
    I'm not sure how I feel about it visually, but I'm planning a black burst on the body so I will match the repair in if needs be.

Here's the Walnut overlay, to pick up the center stripe on the neck.

The I inlayed some Elm from the body top to strengthen the joint

It will be interesting to see what it looks like when carved and how it'll hold up to strings. I've given it a good test today, but I know the strings will be a lot less nervous than me about how much force they use hehe.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, so the neck is all carved now and the full extent of the repair is visible. Couple of little spots repairs to address.
    I'm a little on the fence about it visually, but my wife really likes it, so let me know what you think... repaired or ruined?
    I'll put it to a vote, click 'wow' for repaired or click 'lol' for ruined haha

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    What were you thinking for a finish on this?

You could easily hide that repair underneath a headstock stinger of a solid colour. Even if the rest of the bass was natural a black stinger wouldn't look out of place.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    I would have doubts that the repair will add much strength, but there is only one way to find out ;) 
  • @abw1989 funnily enough it's having a black burst on the front and I'm considering the stinger idea anyway
    @WezV I share your doubts tbh. I've leant on it a few times, though cautiously. The piece is set in 5/6mm but I might just add extra and go for a stinger.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    I think it will hold string tension, but I would expect the headstock to slowly pull forward over time. All the strength is concentrated in that small area of beech behind the nut.

I'm trying to think how to strengthen it... either the back plate needs to go further, and more gradually onto the shaft, or it needs some inserts or reinforcement.  Perhaps short CF rods into the neck shaft, or a CF overlay that wraps onto it.  

• Actually, I'm kicking myself for not taking the walnut further down the neck. Hindsight eh
  • OK, so I've been manic recently and haven't had much time to do any 'socials' but I find myself with some time while I wait for an important delivery.

The bass is now almost fully assembled so I'll back track a little to catch you up.
    I'm still pondering on the rear of the headstock, but I've got everything else sprayed, starting with the black grain filler to pick up the beauty of the Elm top

and some base coat

• Next step was the black burst, and as usual I'm crap at photos so I didn't get any photos until after I had sprayed the clear gloss.

And fully polished up

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whilst the PU was curing I got the chance to do the fretwork and got some oil on the neck and fretboard. 
    Again, a huge lack of pics of the process but I managed to get some assembled snaps this morning.

I also finally came to a decision on some pickups and controls... I went for the Nordstrand big blade 4 soapbars, 'clean and clear' output. Still all a bit baffling to my simple brain, but they look pretty cool haha. Big Blade 4 - Nordstrand Audio

• And here's the 'almost assembled' pics I got this morning...

No need for a clumsy neck heel either, IMO

• Sorry to drag this all back up, had bit of a busy period and then suffering with a blood clot in my leg so been very immobile.
    But here's some finished pictures of the bass, including some fancy pants background editing

I've actually had compliments on the neck inlay, so decided to keep it for now