Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

My Fender experience

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    GuyBoden said:
    Alnico said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Yeah people forget us guys learning on Kays and Satellites and other shit basically had actions that rose to 1" by the time you got to the 7th fret and all the sustain of a piece of wet cardboard being flicked with a rubber band :) 
    Thank you for making me genuinely smile. That's brilliant.
    :)
    And true
    Absolutely So.
    It was the vivid, shuddering memories that made me smile so much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I gig regularly with an unmodded Fender MIM Tele and an MIM Strat (both FSR versions, but essentially Mex standards with a few tweeks). Both have served me well and do the job I need them to do.

I'd like to get a CS Strat just to have one, but I don't see it getting me more gigs booked or making people clap/dance more.

I have thought about upgrading the pick-ups in the Strat as I'm sure they can be improved, but at the moment I'm happier spending my money on other things.

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3987
    I have owned many Fenders from Squier to Custom Shop.  Not surprisingly, the CS was the best, but the Squier and Mexican models I owned have been great guitars too, including the one I have now, a Classic Series 60s Strat.
  • From being a heavy Gibson player, my go to guitar is a '52 Re-Issue Tele. I find it helps keeps me tasteful! ;-) 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    It's a day of highs and lows in Corona.

They've lost a Mayer, but gained a Jellyroll

Market prices are therefore stable.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_l said:

BTW my Fender is not American made but is awesomesauce. A lot of the "You gotta buy American to get a good guitar", is from Americans who don't know any better. 

I genuinely don't know what Fender are trying to do with their US standard series - it seems like every successive 'modern' tweak (and price hike) makes them even less appealing than the all-conquering Classic Vibes. Even the stock pickups are bland and sterile compared to the CV's. I wouldn't be surprised if they get phased out and  the range then goes classic vibe --> US deluxe/hot rod/custom shop.  

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Gassage said:
    It's a day of highs and lows in Corona.

They've lost a Mayer, but gained a Jellyroll
    I don't want to give too much away....but the two events are not unconnected........
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    It is surprising how G&L aren't better received generally and have relatively low residuals.  They are after all the final evolution of the classic F guitars from the man himself.  I know my ASAT is one of the cheaper ones from the Tribute range but I can directly compare it to a US Tele and, apart from the box switch rather than a wafer one, everything else is right up there.  
  • I had the opposite experience when purchasing a '57 AVRI Strat and a '62 AVRI Tele Custom, which prompted me to return to G&L after owning a Legacy beforehand; there really was no comparison in quality, yet the Fenders were significantly more expensive!!
    what are you defining as quality? In terms of make up the guitars are similar aren't they?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I like the G&L's i've played (which isn't many - rarer than rocking horse poo in my world), but the bridges seem the size of the moon to me when I play them. Must just be how I rest my right hand when I play, as it bothers absolutely nobody else, ever. The fatboy MFD pickups are ace!

Dat headstock, though.... Final evolution my arse. Looks like a luthier got pissed up while carving a violin head.
  • with you on the head stock and the bridge
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    mike_l said:

BTW my Fender is not American made but is awesomesauce. A lot of the "You gotta buy American to get a good guitar", is from Americans who don't know any better. 

I genuinely don't know what Fender are trying to do with their US standard series - it seems like every successive 'modern' tweak (and price hike) makes them even less appealing than the all-conquering Classic Vibes. Even the stock pickups are bland and sterile compared to the CV's. I wouldn't be surprised if they get phased out and  the range then goes classic vibe --> US deluxe/hot rod/custom shop.  

I find this view odd ( and the OPs as well for that matter).

Stock pups on the American Standards are Custom Shop Fat 50's...a very nice single coil. But each to their own n all that......

Classic Vibes....had one and sold it. Was really a lot of guitar for the money but not really comparible to an American Series/Standard Strat. Cheaper hardware, pots, switches etc. A good guitar in its price range no doubt but no chance vs a USA Strat IMO. You do get what you pay for.

I personally much prefer the USA Standard necks thickness and finish..that are now satin finished over the previous gloss American Series, and the really glossy and skinny Squier CVs.  Above the CVs I'd easily also place the Mex Classic Player Series..again more money but more guitar for it.