Decent headphones?

What's Hot
I sold all my amps when I went ampless and am quite happy (for now) using my Mac as a practice platform and/or plugging headphones into the Twonotes CabM on my pedal board, need new cans though and would like some advice.

The ones I'm using now are Bose wired but must be 10 years old and designed for music not monitoring, I don't want to spend hundreds and don't want to have separate amps etc.. Is there an industry standard I should be looking at?

Thanks guys.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BeyerDynamic DT770 gets a lot of love round these parts. I have 2 pairs and they're ace
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi I have Focusrite ones that come coupled with the Studio package, barely used in mint condition, I could do for thirty pounds posted to you.
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited September 2023
    Hi I have Focusrite ones that come coupled with the Studio package, barely used in mint condition, I could do for thirty pounds posted to you.
    Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. Lets see what else is out there first, I could treat myself to something tasty!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2289
    edited September 2023

I have these Rode NTH-100 and I like them better than others I tried

fit well
    v low external noise leakage so great for vocals and quiet acoustic part recording
    comfortable ... as they can be 
    sound great
    decent and replaceable strong cable
    sensible price 

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/rode-nth-100-professional-over-ear-headphones/954443?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjw6eWnBhAKEiwADpnw9i1THMpU-Wts6uBJs47ppnsjWUiOSzC7b6Cmxgy7KRGLriiBrqJ1EBoCOV4QAvD_BwE

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have Audio technica ATH 20MX & they’re great I’m sure the much lauded 40x or 50x models would be ideal for you and a great price too 
  • I have two pairs of headphones for silent practice, recording and reference after mastering.

AKG K240 mk2 is the more comfortable and of a decent sound quality for not to much money. I don't know if sound leakage would be an issue as I just use a SM58 for tracking vocals so bleeding isn't an issue.

I've also got a pair of Sony WH1000xm4 which I use mainly for reference rather than tracking/practice but again they sound great and have the option of being used wired and wireless. The headphones app allows you to set different EQ profiles so they are versatile - it's easy to have a flatter one for general use and a music specific one for referencing. Needless to say they are great for listening to music with.

In also have a set of Soundmagic in ears but I only use them for very occasional additional referencing as I much prefer over ears for everything else.

In this day and age I'm sure there are lots that fit the bill and you'll no doubt get loads of different suggestions
  • Hi I have Focusrite ones that come coupled with the Studio package, barely used in mint condition, I could do for thirty pounds posted to you.
    Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. Lets see what else is out there first, I could treat myself to something tasty!
    I have the Focusrite, they are excellent, well worth £30.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I have two pairs of headphones for silent practice, recording and reference after mastering.

AKG K240 mk2 is the more comfortable and of a decent sound quality for not to much money. I don't know if sound leakage would be an issue as I just use a SM58 for tracking vocals so bleeding isn't an issue.

I had a pair of these but got rid of them in the end because they wouldn't adjust small enough for my head.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    edited September 2023
    BeyerDynamic DT770 gets a lot of love round these parts. I have 2 pairs and they're ace
    I'd recommend the Beyer DT770's too but which one's you get depends on @BeardyAndy ;;use case. They do 2 versions (80ohm and 250ohm impedence). The former are better for overall listening for enjoyment but the latter are better suited as studio monitors and critical listening. Less bass response but more detailed highs and better for mixing etc.

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• Of the headphones I own, I'd pick the DT770 Pro (80ohm) as an all rounder for sound and isolation.

I prefer the sound of my DT990s (250 ohm) but they're open back and hence have low isolation.

It's not a competition.
  • Devil#20 said:
    BeyerDynamic DT770 gets a lot of love round these parts. I have 2 pairs and they're ace
    I'd recommend the Beyer DT770's too but which one's you get depends on @BeardyAndy ;;use case. They do 2 versions (80ohm and 250ohm impedence). The former are better for overall listening for enjoyment but the latter are better suited as studio monitors and critical listening. Less bass response but more detailed highs and better for mixing etc.
    Yes good point. I have the 80s. Mostly used for e-drums but these days I'm starting to do more recording. I haven't found them limited yet but you might as well optimise for whatever is your primary use case
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @Devil#20 I've a feeling a buddy of mine bought the 250ohm ones and ended up having to buy a separate amp to power them, I'd be sticking with the 80ohm for my needs. Only one ear works properly and even that one has tinnitus!
  • PennPenn Frets: 621
    I’ve got Beyerdynamic dt990 and AKG k240s

AKG are great for 60 odd quid.  The Beyer were the Mrs BBC issued ones. They’re great too. Depends if you care about open backs as to if you’d want either but they’re pretty good. 

I had some Bose too but after 3 years they fell apart. Crap quality. Had it happen with 2 pairs of them. 
  • Leaky, but great for accurate guitar sound - Sennheiser HD600

Non-leaky for isolated mic recording - Audio Technica M50x
  • For recording an ATM50x (closed back)

For practicing DT880's (open back) as open back headphones are more comfortable over long time period and the spill is not an issue in any room where you can play an unplugged electric. 
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 818
    I have a spare set of Sennheiser HD650s...
  • For neutral, relatively accurate/uncoloured sound, Sennheiser HD6xx if you're ok with open back headphones.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2162
    Can’t really go wrong with any of the obvious choices you’ll find in lists and buyers guides online. 
    You’ll like whichever ones you buy and grow to not care about alternatives. 

Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser. Can’t really miss. Pick some in your price range and roll with them. Return if you drastically don’t like them, which is unlikely. 
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1333
    I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X. The newer version of the DT770. I was astonished at the clarity of sound compared to my old sennheisers.
  • davros said:
    I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic DT700 Pro X. The newer version of the DT770. I was astonished at the clarity of sound compared to my old sennheisers.
    I have to agree, I have the 900 open back version and they're a hefty improvement.