Acoustic pickers who use a thumbpick ...

What's Hot
Do you find, as I do, that if you play with the thumbpick, you need also to put on fingerpicks? I find that the added volume on the bass strings means that the treble strings are drowned out. This is less so when I mute the bass strings, of course, but I do not always want to do that. However, I see many players online managing to get a balanced volume with thumbpick and bare fingers. Can you get it? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MikePMikeP Frets: 58
    Yes. Vary the Palm Mute on the thumb a little and strengthen the fingers. I would say the majority of players use just the thumb pick. 
    What guitar you playing?
  • It took quite a while to get used to, but now I can get a balanced volume with thumbpick and nails.
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    Use a softer plastic thumbpick. They vary. Jim Dunlop 9051R Reds are soft.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 789
    MikeP said:
    What guitar you playing?
    Three Eastmans: a E20 OM, an E2 OM, and a 000 Ltd. I also fingerpick my Godin 5th Avenue Uptown T-Armond, and my Godin Multiac Spectrum.  
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 789
    edited September 2023
    Some interesting comments and advice here - thanks!
    The instruments aren't the problem then...you got some natural nails? Try practicing louder than you think possible for a while then scale back. Listen to early bert jansch, he was trying to finger pick in pubs with little or poor amplification. He really digs in, big strong sheep farmer hands. 
  • Try an ‘Alaska pick’ for the thumb…much better tone IMO. You can’t palm mute with them though.