Scale chart PDFs or PDF book?

What's Hot
OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
edited September 2023 in Theory
Major/Minor scales, the modes, harmonic minor, melodic minor etc.

I have a good book but it's not the most portable. I'd like to use a tablet as I practice scales frequently, but the PDFs I've found online are poor (and I'd rather not get bogged down in an app, internet connection etc).

Can anyone share or point me in a good direction?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10707
    edited September 2023
    This is maybe not what you're looking for but it's all 462 7-note scales within an octave, arranged within their families. The top left one is the diatonic family that we know and love. The ones near the bottom aren't useful - they're not even really scales as they have like an augmented fourth as one of the intervals. But the top few rows are good. Many of them have alternative names.

Each has a unique code, relating to the semitones and tones (eg 2212221 is a major scale)

Edit - except they've come out unreadable, I'll see if I can fix it. 

Edit: I can't get them to be readable, sorry!

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    scales 5.png 62.4K
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6896
    I use Neck Diagrams to create my own. It’s great software for scales and chord charts.

https://www.neckdiagrams.com/
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
    edited September 2023
    viz said:
    This is maybe not what you're looking for but it's all 462 7-note scales within an octave, arranged within their families. The top left one is the diatonic family that we know and love. The ones near the bottom aren't useful - they're not even really scales as they have like an augmented fourth as one of the intervals. But the top few rows are good. Many of them have alternative names.

Each has a unique code, relating to the semitones and tones (eg 2212221 is a major scale)

Edit - except they've come out unreadable, I'll see if I can fix it. 

Edit: I can't get them to be readable, sorry!

No worries. Thanks for the attempt. 
    PDF chord book welcome too. I've always used those skinny 'books that fit in your guitar bag', which in hindsight is pretty impractical.
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    mrkb said:
    I use Neck Diagrams to create my own. It’s great software for scales and chord charts.

I’d second using this. Doing it yourself will help you learn this stuff in a quicker and deeper way (I did it back in the day with pen and paper :wink: ). Depends how averse you are to doing the hard yards mind…

• OctavioOctavio Frets: 151
    edited September 2023
    Brad said:
    mrkb said:

I’d second using this. Doing it yourself will help you learn this stuff in a quicker and deeper way (I did it back in the day with pen and paper wink ). Depends how averse you are to doing the hard yards mind…

I'd say quite averse. I know it'll just be another barrier to actually playing and time is limited with young family. I managed to get a PDF version of The Ultimate Scale book by Troy Stetina. I have the hardcopy so know what to expect. Thanks for the input though, got there in the end.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    I’m led to believe the Beato book is pdf and has lots of scales, chords and modes in it. It’s said not to have lots of explanation but lots of reviews available. It’s often on sale too so might fit the OPs needs.
  • Benm39Benm39 Frets: 714
    Alex Rockwell books might be worth a look.  Lots of very in depth scale manuals there
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1078
    Octavio said:
    Major/Minor scales, the modes, harmonic minor, melodic minor etc.

I have a good book but it's not the most portable. I'd like to use a tablet as I practice scales frequently, but the PDFs I've found online are poor (and I'd rather not get bogged down in an app, internet connection etc).

Can anyone share or point me in a good direction?

Cheers

Some nice clear PDF's here,

• Octavio said:
     (and I'd rather not get bogged down in an app, internet connection etc).

I know you're not keen on an app, but this is a tidy little one, not complicated and lots of good stuff included.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/guitar-scales-chords-power/id647000751
  • thinline72thinline72 Frets: 82
    edited October 2023
    I really like Jay Skyler charts and overall his website is full of goodies: https://www.jayskyler.com/guitar-fretboard-diagrams/index.html

It's not the easiest site to navigate and I don't think there is a single PDF containing all the charts. But if you spend some time on downloading images of the ones you are interested in and combine them into a single PDF, I think it'll be well worth it.

Here are a few pics to show how they look:

• There is also a cool tool where you can create your own and find tons of charts created by the community: https://www.editor.guitarscientist.com/diagrams

It's possible to download them as PDFs, although I don't remember if it's possible to do in the free version. I mainly use it to create custom charts for a bit less common stuff like scales for open tunings etc + with my own notion. Here is one of Open Dm charts that I created:

• RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    Has the OP tried playing music rather than scales?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• BradBrad Frets: 662
    Rocker said:
    Has the OP tried playing music rather than scales?
    Perhaps the OP wants to improve their fretboard knowledge and widen their tonal palette in order to actually better realise the music they want to play? 
  • Octavio said:

I know you're not keen on an app, but this is a tidy little one, not complicated and lots of good stuff included.

This is the sort of thing I've been looking for too. This looks really good, thank you. 
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 335
    edited October 2023
    There are somebarnsleyboy said:
    Octavio said:

The music apps I use only require the internet for download and install.