What is this chord?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• nero1701nero1701 Frets: 1442
    Gb with an added 4th?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • F# add 11 - You wouldn't ordinarily consider it to have a 4th (over an 11th) once a 3rd is in there. Usually an 'Add' chord would have the 5th too. If your bass line contains an F# at the same time as that chord, then it's definitely F# add11, I think too many people are trying to confuse things by adding a bunch of different bass note options for you, which will give entirely different names.  
  • F# add 11 - You wouldn't ordinarily consider it to have a 4th (over an 11th) once a 3rd is in there. Usually an 'Add' chord would have the 5th too. If your bass line contains an F# at the same time as that chord, then it's definitely F# add11, I think too many people are trying to confuse things by adding a bunch of different bass note options for you, which will give entirely different names.  
    In fairness @thisisguitar it does not take much at all to confuse me when it comes to guitar theory...... I had no idea what the chord was when I put it in a song - I literally just moved my fingers till I found the sound - to me it sounds 'open' and 'droney' so I use it transition in and out of a. more 'driving' verse and chorus into a sort of 'floaty' bridge/interlude - The chord is a. drone - and I just use one bass note underneath it - F sharpe seems to work (I was going with a B before I got help on here lol).  I know nothing about theory - but it's interesting to me to see that there isn't one definitive answer - in my mind it's cool that there are lots of things that could work.  
    In fairness @thisisguitar it does not take much at all to confuse me when it comes to guitar theory...... I had no idea what the chord was when I put it in a song - I literally just moved my fingers till I found the sound - to me it sounds 'open' and 'droney' so I use it transition in and out of a. more 'driving' verse and chorus into a sort of 'floaty' bridge/interlude - The chord is a. drone - and I just use one bass note underneath it - F sharpe seems to work (I was going with a B before I got help on here lol).  I know nothing about theory - but it's interesting to me to see that there isn't one definitive answer - in my mind it's cool that there are lots of things that could work.  
    I do have an over-arching rule in music: If it sounds good, it is good. I have studied a moderate amount of theory, and it can be very helpful for problem solving, and giving a basis for things, but I do trust my ear. 

Another way I think about chords and melody, is more like a patchwork quilt. You can have a bunch of different colours and materials, but as long as the thread (melody) is strong enough you can pull all the pieces together. 

I would consider learning the basics of theory, though it's often frowned upon by creatives I think it makes some things much easier, and opens up avenues you would be unlikely to find by chance. 
    I do have an over-arching rule in music: If it sounds good, it is good. I have studied a moderate amount of theory, and it can be very helpful for problem solving, and giving a basis for things, but I do trust my ear. 

Another way I think about chords and melody, is more like a patchwork quilt. You can have a bunch of different colours and materials, but as long as the thread (melody) is strong enough you can pull all the pieces together. 

I would consider learning the basics of theory, though it's often frowned upon by creatives I think it makes some things much easier, and opens up avenues you would be unlikely to find by chance. 
    thats so true - if it sounds right it must be right........ I agree about the theory too - I really wish I'd learned a bit more theory when I started out and was a bit longer. When I joined bands in later years it would have been a lot easier if I'd have had a bit more knowledge. Some kind band members helped me pick up bits and pieces - but there is an enormous amount I don't understand. I make and record my own music at home and that would be a lot easier if I understood a but more about theory. 

I would like to learn some theory and how to operate a DAW.....  they'll go on the to do list

thats so true - if it sounds right it must be right........ I agree about the theory too - I really wish I'd learned a bit more theory when I started out and was a bit longer. When I joined bands in later years it would have been a lot easier if I'd have had a bit more knowledge. Some kind band members helped me pick up bits and pieces - but there is an enormous amount I don't understand. I make and record my own music at home and that would be a lot easier if I understood a but more about theory. 

I would like to learn some theory and how to operate a DAW.....  they'll go on the to do list
    Never too late to learn mate, if the internet doesn't have it just bite the bullet and find a good teacher. My oldest student is in his 70s, and there are a few in their 60s too. The a-ha moments will come quite quickly with a bit of work, it'll be about joining up the things you already know and then pushing forward. Funnily enough I'm starting to use Logic now for the same purposes, having had experience with Cubase and a little ProTools over time. Though I'm lucky that my writing partner is a music production lecturer at a Conservatoire, and he's shit hot :-)  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I learn best with someone I can talk to and can show me..... it'd be a lot easier to know this goes with that and that goes with this etc - I have to try everything by ear - thats resulted in me learning patterns and shapes and numbers that I know go together. There are a couple of people in. the band I play in who are trained and they are very patient with me luckily - but it would be best if I knew a bit more. I actually have Logic - it came pre installed on my Mac -  but I still use an old 8 track digital. recorder lol.... it really limits what I can. I live in north Wales. I think I could find music tuition -  it's harder to  find training for Logic. Appreciate your advice and encouragement. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I would call this F#11 too
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3280
    edited September 2023
    roberty said:
    I would call this F#11 too
    I'll only give you that if you hum a b7 when you play it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• I learn best with someone I can talk to and can show me..... it'd be a lot easier to know this goes with that and that goes with this etc - I have to try everything by ear - thats resulted in me learning patterns and shapes and numbers that I know go together. There are a couple of people in. the band I play in who are trained and they are very patient with me luckily - but it would be best if I knew a bit more. I actually have Logic - it came pre installed on my Mac -  but I still use an old 8 track digital. recorder lol.... it really limits what I can. I live in north Wales. I think I could find music tuition -  it's harder to  find training for Logic. Appreciate your advice and encouragement. 
    No worries, good luck with the journey mate. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    edited September 2023
  • There is a great app named Reverse Chord Finder Free which I have on my Samsung Android phone that gives you a good basic idea of conundrums like this. Obviously you need to find the key but it gives you a couple of names for each chord. It told me Bmaj7/F# and F#add11 too. And my theory knowledge is very basic.
    I have no association with the app but have found it helpful while noodling away.