Alan Parsons Project

What's Hot
vizviz Frets: 10697
edited September 2023 in Music
Any fans? I love them. 

This is awesome. That guitar tone is so hollow. And I just love the harmonies. They’re absolutely beautiful. 

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    Oh yes. Epic songwriting and Woofson's and Blunstone's voices. Then the huge arrangements and production.

Old and Wise and Silence and I especially always hit me in teh feelz.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited September 2023
    Love them, particularly the 90s period and some great songwriting and well worth checking out.

For me, Ian Bairnson (RIP) is a Guitar God. Beautifully crafted and perfect, melodic solos.

• Big fan here.  Got 7 of their LPs in my record rack.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    edited September 2023
    Me too! 

The whole of Eye in the Sky is incredible. Silence and I reminds me of another one - err

edit - oh yes, Ammonia Avenue. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • I love so much different music I remember buying the early albums on vinyl, now long gone I have greatest hits type album on CD, which I played recently for the first time in ages, I had forgotten how good they were. They were massive in Germany when I lived there.
  • My Dad was well into them.   I don’t really know much apart from the songs, Games People Play and Maybe A Price To Pay.

What is a good album as a starting point?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Eye in the Sky
    Or Pyramid
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16681
    My wife was listening to Electric Six recently and their cover of Eye In the Sky came on.  She didn't know it was a cover and was quite surprised when I started singing along.

My dad is a big fan, so I grew up with it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    A very significant album for me was Tales of mystery and imagination. I got a copy back in my wonderful college years, and it really stuck with me. It's one of those albums that reminds me of some of the very best years of my life.

Strangely, I have never followed up on any other APP albums. Listening to the video in the original post right now - very nice!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    WezV said:
    My wife was listening to Electric Six recently and their cover of Eye In the Sky came on.  She didn't know it was a cover and was quite surprised when I started singing along.

I did a double-take on that as Electric Six of 'Gay Bar' fame? Surely not and then looked it up and musically, it's quite similar.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11724
    Old And Wise always gets me.  Colin B has always had an exquisite voice.
  • "The Turn of a Friendly Card" was my first and remains my favourite.  My second fave is probably the compilation of instrumentals "The Instrumental Works."

• I remeber getting Vulture Culture and Ammonia avenue on vinyl for christmas as a 13/14 year old. Still love them! Cool live gig from Spain  iirc on YT. Worth a watch.

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    I had Eye in the Sky on vinyl way back then. It always sounded impressive but almost completely without any musical content. A good hi-fi demo record to impress visitors but that was all it was good for, IMHO. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1338
    Kebabkid said:
    WezV said:

I did a double-take on that as Electric Six of 'Gay Bar' fame? Surely not and then looked it up and musically, it's quite similar.
    It's a shame that Gay Bar has become such an albatross round the neck of Electric Six - they are so much more than that... I mean I don't deny it's a terrific riff from the White Wolf - but .. in a list of my all time top 10 tunes from them it wouldn't make the cut.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...