Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

the band arsehole...

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4537
    Why would you lose gigs if you have stand in singer?? get rid of the cow, and get rid of her quick, do you really think she's going to get less cancelly in the future?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegas said:
    Why would you lose gigs if you have stand in singer?? get rid of the cow, and get rid of her quick, do you really think she's going to get less cancelly in the future?
    Long story short - the rhythm guitarist (band leader/organiser/PA owner) has said he's pi$$ed off with being messed about by her so much recently, if she cancels new years, he's calling it quits for a while. I'm hoping it's a knee jerk reaction but he has also said that when she messed us about before so I'm unsure on how legitimate it is.

I've proposed a band meeting on Friday to decide on the future. We have a good thing going and as a business, our product is good. It only has one shortfall and that's her planning. My aim is to keep going without the current singer. I sing, as does he (he currently does about 30% of the setlist) so we could make up the shortfall even if our dep wasn't wanting more work.

A genuinely think a good gig on Saturday could sway him!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Simples, ask dep singer if she want's the #1 singer's job, if she says yes, no problem, just replace bad with good, if she says no, then start looking for a permanent replacement.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_l said:
    Simples, ask dep singer if she want's the #1 singer's job, if she says yes, no problem, just replace bad with good, if she says no, then start looking for a permanent replacement.
    Yeah, you're right. It's just making sure the guitarst doesn't walk with his organisation skills, PA system and Son (drummer). He really does do a fantastic job. And also making sure the band can still acheve its New Year's Eve responsibilities!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4537
    what mike_l says
  • mike_l said:

Face it, if you had someone in the office not pulling their weight, they'd soon be gone.

You've never worked in local government have you @mike_l ?
    :(|)
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

Face it, if you had someone in the office not pulling their weight, they'd soon be gone.

Nope...........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited November 2014
    Turns out in my band it was me. :-(

I've been fed up with the lead guitarist for some time - someone suggests a song, he decides what chords we play. No discussion. He's right, no one else can be. I don't know anyone else on the planet willing to tell Wayne and Merrill Osmond how to play Crazy Horses, but he is. ("Stop playing G#, it's a G!" Erm no it's not, it's an F#, which is what I was playing.)

So on Wednesday, the drummer got the first song wrong. The singer got the second song wrong. The other guitarist launched into the third song playing something else, literally - we were supposed to be playing C'mon Everybody and he started playing Something Else. Then they added in two songs that I thought we'd dropped. So I hadn't practised them and not surprisingly butchered them. Then he decided that the chords I was playing on another song were wrong, even though I've been playing them (and the bassist has been using them too) for the last six months. Then he decided that I was out of tune, so I switched to the tuner and I was fine. He wasn't though.

The bassist has had a problem with a particular song that the other guitarist and the singer really like, but I don't. Now the drummer isn't sure of it either. So the other guitarist decided that the answer is that I was playing the wrong chords on that one, too.

Now, I know I'm probably shit, but only two weeks ago the bassist talked me out of leaving cos I'm rapidly starting to hate the other fucker.

So when I got home there was an email saying they'd fired me.

Don't be surprised if you see all my kit in the classifieds after Christmas.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • @TheOtherDennis - sorry you had to put up with such a bunch of gimboids. I've been in a similar situation but stuck it out till I could take it no more. Plus side of your story, I've now got "Crazy Horses" in my head to keep me entertained for the last 15 minutes of work.
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• failed_astronaut said:
    @TheOtherDennis - sorry you had to put up with such a bunch of gimboids. I've been in a similar situation but stuck it out till I could take it no more. Plus side of your story, I've now got "Crazy Horses" in my head to keep me entertained for the last 15 minutes of work.
    Ta for that, but especially for 'gimboids' - never heard that one before, loving it! :-D
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    mike_l said:

Never a truer word matey.
    mike_l said:
    Yeah, you're right. It's just making sure the guitarst doesn't walk with his organisation skills, PA system and Son (drummer). He really does do a fantastic job. And also making sure the band can still acheve its New Year's Eve responsibilities!
    You say to guitarist/organiser, "Look, bear with it for a little bit longer mate....." You need to be transparent with singist and bluntly state, "You're in, or you're not" If it's 'not', get shot of her, and either beg dep singist (and I mean beg) to give you 2 months of their time to cover the Festives, or bite the bullet with guitarist and cover the vocals between you (it is the time of much imbibement after all), while advertising furiously for another singer.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."

• failed_astronaut said:
    @TheOtherDennis - sorry you had to put up with such a bunch of gimboids. I've been in a similar situation but stuck it out till I could take it no more. Plus side of your story, I've now got "Crazy Horses" in my head to keep me entertained for the last 15 minutes of work.
    Ta for that, but especially for 'gimboids' - never heard that one before, loving it! :-D
    sounds like you are better of without them.
    It surprising how far people can get with a lack of skill and a shit attitude.

Dont give up though matey, its a right of passage being in a shit band and you soon learn the warning signs for the next one ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I can provide an update for anyone that cares...

We had a gig last night. The singer arrived late as ever! This allowed us to briefly discuss the situation.

We've managed to convince her to fulfil her comittments with us on the New Years gig but we've had to do a negotiating with the company that's booked us. Panic over! I was slightly worried about directly asking if the band organiser/other guitarist if he was serious about jacking it in so I didn't mention it. It's OK, you can call me cowardly!

Anyway, he's taken some more 2015 bookings and seemed a lot more positive about the whole thing. Phew! That followed by a good gig on Friday and normality has resumed. We have another 2 gigs this week, one of which is with the dep so will see how she does on her first live outing. Nothing is set in stone for the future but we've got a good thing so we need to keep it going!

I think we're going to explore working with some other singers for future events (instead of taking on the dep full time).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Wisdom awarded for diplomacy.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.