Audio recorder that syncs to phone video???

What's Hot
Hi all - I wasn't too sure which category to put this in...

I'm looking for something that I'm not sure exists!

My girlfriend is a musician who plays at lots of weddings - I go along with her to help set up and - inevitably - take the videos for her instagram/socials.

A lot of the time there is a lot of background noise from the venue when using the phone camera sound only, and we're looking for a way to get a more pristine sound.

Is there a way to set up an external audio device to the phone with which to record her playing live, whilst simultaneously syncing that audio up to the video being filmed on the phone, all at the same time?

Perhaps some kind of bluetooth mic???

I've seen those Rode Wireless Go 2 mics - is that the right idea?

I've suggested recording the audio using a field recorder and syncing the audio and video on the computer when we get home, but in my experience the video quality always ends up suffering as soon as it comes off the phone and into a movie editing suite.

Sorry for the long, possibly incoherent question! Hopefully you can make sense of what I'm asking.

Thank you all.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You’re gonna need a portable audio recorder (H4N or suchlike). Then you’ll have to synch the audio yourself by use of a clap. I don’t know what phone you’re using, but I’d suggest investing in a half decent camera (even a used 5D mk II). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    edited September 2023
    Anything using bluetooth for audio will have a delay - so the audio and video will be slightly out of sync. Better to have an audio and video device and merge /align using good video SW such as Davinci (which has a free version)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks both - I'll check out some options
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3678
    edited September 2023
    If it is an Apple phone, it is class compliant with audio interfaces.. so you can connect a pair of nice directional condensers and when you film, the video app will be synched with the external mic audio.

Best way is to get the audio from the desk and synch it in video editor if it is modern desk with USB or recorder built in and mix a little of the room ambient from the phone in,

You should not lose video quality downloading clips from the phone,

What phone and editor are you using?
  • As above ,seperate audio recorder direct to desk whatever and clap to give a place to sync on the waveform. Final Cut Pro can sync up audio automatically these days too if I recall correctly 
  • As above ,seperate audio recorder direct to desk whatever and clap to give a place to sync on the waveform. Final Cut Pro can sync up audio automatically these days too if I recall correctly 
    It can.. even with multiple camera clips to create a compound clip.  No clap needed.  Very slick.
  • If it is an Apple phone, it is class compliant with audio interfaces.. so you can connect a pair of nice directional condensers and when you film, the video app will be synched with the external mic audio.

Best way is to get the audio from the desk and synch it in video editor if it is modern desk with USB or recorder built in and mix a little of the room ambient from the phone in,

So I connect an audio interface to the phone - is that what you mean?

iPhone 14 pro max and the footage goes into an ancient 2009 macbook pro and iMovie - I think it's the iMovie that is the culprit for ruining the video quality.
  • 2009 tech is probably unable to cope with 2022/3 tech very efficiently which might explain your issues. 
  • You can edit video fine in Canva.com just using a browser. 
  • If it is an Apple phone, it is class compliant with audio interfaces.. so you can connect a pair of nice directional condensers and when you film, the video app will be synched with the external mic audio.

So I connect an audio interface to the phone - is that what you mean?

iPhone 14 pro max and the footage goes into an ancient 2009 macbook pro and iMovie - I think it's the iMovie that is the culprit for ruining the video quality.
    You can use iMovie app on the phone too.  There should be no quality loss unless you export in a lower resolution.

If you have a modem audio interface advertising apple compatibility it should just connect and be the source.