SITE UPDATE: Search functionality

What's Hot
digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26619
edited September 2023 in Off Topic
Right, then...I've been working on this for a while, and I can finally reveal that the search functionality is pretty much fixed.

All searches now search for all words in your query, rather than any. Also, I've moved things around a bit so that you no longer need to go to the advanced search to use the fancy functionality - just click "More Options" for a more sensible set of options and some examples on how to use the field searches:

IMPORTANT NOTE: You might need to clear your browser cache to make it look nice. If you're on Safari, you might need to clear it a couple of times (and, for once, that's not me being snarky about Apple).
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6870
    Thanks Lee!
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Well done Lee. The search function has always been a bugbear on here. ;)  
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18813
    Hallelujah!  Thanks Lee, much obliged.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7427
    Lovely 
    Red ones are better. 
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Nice 1 DS
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Hey, fabulous job there :)
  • Seek and ye shall find !! Thanks :)
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • FYI, this is what it looks like if your browser cache hasn't cleared properly:

<space for hire>
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28356
    edited September 2023
    It's not doing quite what I expected. Cache cleared.

If I search (for example) for:

@user Sporky "Ibanez Talman" 

I get results for all users, and with only "Ibanez". Is that right? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Hmmm...that's odd. Something's changed between yesterday and today, which makes no sense. Also, it's behaving differently to the test site and my dev copy, even though the code's the same.

Leave it with me.
    <space for hire>
  • @Sporky - that should be fixed now. Also, the guidance has changed - the field searches (@user, @title and @body) must come after the general search terms.
    <space for hire>
    Ta - it is still missing some results though. Fer instance:

https://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/3673326/#Comment_3673326

That one doesn't come up even if I just search "Talman".

Sorry - it is already better, but my assumption is that you'd like us to tell you if we find gaps in the functionality. Or any undocumented features. Or any other ways of expressing "bug". You can tell me to stop and I probably will.
  • Sorry to say I don't think it is up to scratch still. For example if I search for "Victorinox" I get two hits. If I search using site:www.thefretboard.co.uk I get a lot more relevant results around kitchen knives, christmas present ideas etc.
  • HerrMetal said:
    Sorry to say I don't think it is up to scratch still. For example if I search for "Victorinox" I get two hits. If I search using site:www.thefretboard.co.uk I get a lot more relevant results around kitchen knives, christmas present ideas etc.
    OK, so the Google search returns 6 results for me - two of which don't contain the word at all, one of which only contains it in links (which are ignored in the site search) and one contains it only in quotes (which are ignored, most of the time - haven't figured out what's going on there). That leaves two, which - bizarrely - aren't the two that the site search finds.

So, effectively, both Google and the site search are wrong. I have no idea why.
    <space for hire>
  • Not to worry. I only picked that as an example as I was researching kitchen knives and knew that like wellies and walking boots, they had been discussed in multiple threads on here. Decision has been made on the knives now. Simplest if I just stick to guitar stuff!
  • @HerrMetal - try again now:

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/search?match=Extended&or=MostRecent&Search=victorinox

70 results - Google's clearly not keeping up ;)

I've fixed the indexer, which was missing a whole bunch of content out because of a dodgy query in the search plugin.
    <space for hire>
  • Great bit of work. Tried a few different searches and all I can say is "Wow" ... things that never used to return a single result but I knew should have done now produce a load of results. All those little gems of information tucked away on here can now be found. Absolutely superb.
  • HerrMetal said:
    Great bit of work. Tried a few different searches and all I can say is "Wow" ... things that never used to return a single result but I knew should have done now produce a load of results. All those little gems of information tucked away on here can now be found. Absolutely superb.
    Aye...to be honest, until I re-ran your search I had no idea how much was missing. Like you, I'd been comparing to Google's index...I guess the lesson is to never trust a mega-corp, eh? ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Lovely work. I get a lit of results for my test search now. 
  • Hey @digitalscream ;

I'm also getting unexpected behaviour - searching for "way huge" in the FX £ section does what I expect when I set results to "most relevant". 

Changing to "most recent" (which is the best way to search the FS section) seems to revert to searching for Way OR huge instead of Way Huge.