Sight reading practice App?

Apologies if this is the wrong section (and also because I'm also asking for piano purposes rather than guitar!).

I've been playing guitar for 25 years and never learned how to read. In recent years I've been starting to slowly teach myself how to read using a few different apps for notes/rhythms and I'm feeling more confident. One of the benefits of 25 years of learning to play is I know how I learn best, and the problem with most sight reading practice is once I've played it once I remember it and can't 're-read' it afresh because I'll remember the music rather than read the notes.

Does anyone know of a program/app which would randomly generate a piece and also have the ability to then attempt to play (via midi keyboard) the piece to a click and tell you if you get it right?

I already have something like this with the rhythm trainer app, and it works really well because it has infinitely variable randomly generated rhythms. However, that just does rhythms and not the notes.

Happy to pay for a decent program.

Any help appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    Don't know about apps, but it's very rewarding just studying the score while listening to a piece, and there are millions on youtube. It can be anything. Like this, just an example. This can complement proper learning at the instrument.

Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28509
    If you've got an app for rhythm, you could add Noterush for note recognition. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BradBrad Frets: 662
    edited September 2023
    1. Get a pdf of the Real Book and read a different piece each day. Obviously no playback, but the sheer volume of tunes will keep things fresh. 

2. Transcribe. Use something like musescore/soundslice to input the notes, then you’ll hear if you’ve got it right.