CIJ Tele - serial number help please!

I've owned a few CIJ Teles and Strats and always found the serial number on the back of the neck with crafted or made in Japan stamped above it.

I am looking at getting this one and there is only a serial number, but it is on the back neck plate instead of the neck itself. The serial number checks out - there is some debate online as to wether it's a letter plus 5 or 6 digits. 

Would the serial number not been in place stop you buying it if everything else seemed good? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited September 2023
    The neck doesn't look right. No Crafted In Japan decal, the headstock shape is wrong, and the shaping on the transition from the neck to the headstock looks typical of a Chinese one.

This is a real one - notice the difference in the shape of the 'scroll', the heavily rounded-over lower back edge, and the smooth neck to head transition.

The shaping of the binding on the bass side of the neck pocket looks too crude as well. I'm pretty sure a Custom Tele reissue shouldn't have an F neck-plate either, although I could be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    You would probably get more responses if this was in 'Guitars', by the way - you can change the category if you click on the gear wheel in the top right of the post and select 'Edit'.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

The first run of Squier Classic Vibes had one that looked like that, a neck plate from eBay would be easy to swap in.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister