Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I have discovered ... The Doobie brothers

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
edited September 2023 in Music
OK, so I've always really liked two classic tracks of theirs - Listen to the music and Long train running, but I've never looked into the band in any way at all. When I was growing up I remember them being around with Michael MacDonald singing, and it was a much smoother music. Still good, but not 'quite' my thing.

So, I was mooching around a charity shop the other day looking at cheap CDs and I saw their Greatest hits for 25p! Seemed worth a punt, and boy was it! The songs before MM arrived are way more guitar oriented, just real cool rockin 70s music. Back then Tom Johnston was the main man - Main singer, guitarist, main songwriter. Such a kick ass band back then!

So I quickly ditched the greatest hits in favour of the first 5 albums (with Tom) and I am REALLY enjoying them. I can't believe I missed the band for so long. 

I picked up three other 25p albums - Peter Gabriel SO, Rolling Stones greatest hits and Queen greatest hits II. A pretty good haul for a quid!
0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    Great band and still delivering. I saw them on a joint bill with Steely Dan a few years ago at The O2 and just after Becker passed away. They blew SD off stage and sounded great with a lot of energy, too.

China Grove, Listen to the music, Rocking down the highway, Takin' it to the streets were regulars in our set.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Kebabkid said:
    Great band and still delivering. I saw them on a joint bill with Steely Dan a few years ago at The O2 and just after Becker passed away. They blew SD off stage and sounded great with a lot of energy, too.

China Grove, Listen to the music, Rocking down the highway, Takin' it to the streets were regulars in our set.
    Yeah, I've been playing recent-ish live shows on Youtube this morning whilst faffing on the computer, great stuff!

My fave song is Jesus is alright, I'll have a go at learning that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:

My fave song is Jesus is alright, I'll have a go at learning that.
    Byrds did it better, worth checking out if you like the song.
  • I watched a music documentary not long ago where someone in it said that Doobie Brothers approached Kenny Loggins  to be their main vocalist before Michael McDonald.  If that's true, that would be a great "what-if" scenario.  Though I can't imagine Kenny Loggins singing McDonald's parts.  Just isn't the same.    
  • Tim Pierce was talking about them. I'm not sure if I have the story right but I think Skunk Baxter joined them after leaving Steely Dan (he was the guitarist in the SD before they became famous and then sort of relegated to occasional sessions) and then he recruited Michael MacDonald who had been a Steely backing vocalist. So the two bands have a linked history. If, for some odd reason, I was forced to choose between the two bands I'd probably plump for the more soulful/groovy Doobies. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    I don't know much about them, except I have the 7" single of What a Fool Believes.

I do remember this Dean advert with John McFee which I thought was pretty cool.

1981 JOHN McFEE OF THE DOOBIE BROTHERS DEAN GUITAR AD  eBay
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4929
    Just great vocals and musicianship.
    I watched one of the TV rock documentaries about them some time ago and it was really interesting.
  • Philly_Q said:
    I don't know much about them, except I have the 7" single of What a Fool Believes.

I do remember this Dean advert with John McFee which I thought was pretty cool.

1981 JOHN McFEE OF THE DOOBIE BROTHERS DEAN GUITAR AD  eBay
    What a fool believe's is my favourite Doobie Bros tune. 
  • Michael McDonald is really good & he’s been in both bands no wonder I used to get mixed up with them 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22970
    edited September 2023
    Michael McDonald is really good & he’s been in both bands no wonder I used to get mixed up with them 
    They're an OK bunch of guys, but just say no to drugs.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6694
    Doobie = spliff. 

That's all you need to know. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3311
    I watched a music documentary not long ago where someone in it said that Doobie Brothers approached Kenny Loggins  to be their main vocalist before Michael McDonald.  If that's true, that would be a great "what-if" scenario.  Though I can't imagine Kenny Loggins singing McDonald's parts.  Just isn't the same.    
    Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald wrote 'What a fool believes' and so there's a link
  • Kebabkid said:
    I watched a music documentary not long ago where someone in it said that Doobie Brothers approached Kenny Loggins  to be their main vocalist before Michael McDonald.  If that's true, that would be a great "what-if" scenario.  Though I can't imagine Kenny Loggins singing McDonald's parts.  Just isn't the same.    
    Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald wrote 'What a fool believes' and so there's a link
    One of my favourite songs and didn't even know Kenny Loggins co-wrote it until now.  Thanks for that bit of trivia =)
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1960
    Whilst not a definitive Doobie Brothers line up, I love this live concert from 1982.

• TanninTannin Frets: 5481
    I'll bring you your slippers and your walking frame. You're done.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    Some great tracks in there, both with Michael Mc and without - Many forget how big the Doobie entourage were in the 70's - The first, or one of the first to tour with their own plane

There is a great DB's documentary and Michael Mc speaks about joining the band and song writing - He timidly points out that he didn't really believe he could write and yet he had a half hearted stab at Minute by Minute and What a fool believes
  • I'm so old I know what a "doobie" is.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Great band, who I know, thanks to my dad. I love them with MM but only ever got to see them with their current(ish) lineup around 12 years ago. 

Their 2010 album World Gone Crazy is worth checking out as the best of their new stuff. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    I saw Michael McDonald live years ago here in Croydon, after doing some work for his guitarist.
    A bit mellow/smooth compared to my usual listening, but a polished gig all the same.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5431
    Love me some Doobies! Saw them like almost 25 years ago and then again a few years ago at the Bluesfest thing with Steely Dan. Both times super tight and super into it.

Sad to say I've never seen them with Michael McDonald but I'd sure love to as I loved that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0B6nxPfcCM