NAGD 12 string Yamaha FG260-12

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
edited September 2023 in Acoustics
As a few of you know, ive been doing some work for a local charity. Essentially cleaning up and setting up donated guitars for them.
I met up with the director a few weeks back to hand over what I had sourced for them and to collect a fresh batch (tends to be 6-8 at a time).
I carry out a quick visual inspection to see what might need doing, or if it's indeed worth it. He opened the gig bag and this 12 string was inside.....and i went "oooh....i've never done a 12 string". I offered to buy it off him, but he said in light of all the work and guitars i've sourced for them I could keep it. They did owe me just over £100 so I said even stevens on that. I also donated my Washburn WG20s as i wasnt using it. And to be fair, the guitars are primarily sourced for beginners. A 12 string isnt really that.

The guitar was filthy and the action was horrendous (which is why i suspect it was donated). It's a 1974 FG260-12. I cleaned it up, oiled the machine heads and restrung it with a pack of martin guitar strings (which are shite btw, two ball ends broke in the pack i had).
The action was very high, i managed to tweak the truss rod as much as i could, but alas it was still far too high and i couldnt get the relief to where i wanted it. I watched a few youtube videos and installed a reamed out nut before the truss rod adjuster, to give the rod more purchase. The top of the guitar isnt bowed at all, which I believe is quite common on this model. The action is still a bit high (about 5/32 on the low E and 4/32 on the top E).
I think without farting around with the bridge, thats the best i can get it. And in all honesty, I'm not John McLaughlin it is now consdierably easier to play.

I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    Nice! Are you tuning it to standard pitch? A lot of folk would tune a 12-string down a whole tone, and that would help with the action her.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mart said:
    Nice! Are you tuning it to standard pitch? A lot of folk would tune a 12-string down a whole tone, and that would help with the action her.
    Yeah I did read that it's at concert atm. I think tuning it half a step down may help though. I have seen some super light 12 string gauges, so I'm gonna try those at some point. Top Es are 9s for example.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    Newtone Heritage do a set of 12s , they are reduced tension, for £15. I've tried the 6 string version and I like them a lot.
    Nice to see an old instrument resurrected.
     :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom