Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #98

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #98. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @susbemol for this backing track

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 30th September 2023.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Unnecessary detail follows, but here are are my listening notes in full:

• Bellycaster - Juicy tone. Nice shape to the solo, with very cool use of doubletracking, bringing the harmonies in and out to distinguish the different sections. The lift when they first come in was one of my favourite moments of the playlist.
    • Flying Pie - Tastefully restrained in the first section, not unnecessarily cluttered but with precise phrasing and articulation. Picked up speed to match the chorus, keeping it nicely varied.
    • Fastononebaz - Liked how the guitar tone varied from the smooth compressed sound of a lot of the others here, with a good bit of bite making a nice contrast when working through the playlist. Restrained yourself from shredding until the last section but still managed to get this in smoothly despite the lack of gain.
    • Stratman - Fat tone, with a nice flip to bridge pick up to vary the tone throughout the song. Tasteful whammy usage. Pushed the envelope musically and technically with the outro.
    • Bennyboy - awesome run going into the chorus. Cool phrasing during the chorus which was nicely in the pocket.
    • Susbemol - Pocket is so tight. Sweet 335 tone. Tasteful inclusion of ‘outside’ notes to keep it interesting, especially that second phrase of the outro which shall become mine once I figure it out.
    • Digital Kettle - Nice and restrained at the start. Good use of panning. In fact, top notch production and attention to detail throughout. Chorus my favourite section here, cool tone and tight phrasing, then an ethereal ending providing a nice contrast. 

Could have given points to everyone, but if I have to choose:

5 points - @susbemol ; (tempted to dock points - firstly because it’s your backing and secondly because I harbour suspicion that you might actually be Larry Carlton - but I won’t because it’s inspired me to pick up my 335 this weekend and that seems a pretty hearty compliment to an 80 second solo)

3 points - @Bennyboy-UK ; (really enjoyed that chorus)

1 point - @fastonebaz ; (that tone just made it stand out from the crowd)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 points : @susbemol ; : Good tone. Melodic, great ideas, good build. Larry style bends and phrasing, and a nice almost 'outside' sounding lick at 1:14.

3 points : @digitalkettle ; : Loads of great ideas as usual that keep things interesting.  An musical instrumental approach at times, rather than an out-and-out guitar solo.

1 point : @Bennyboy-UK ; : Melodic, good fit. Juicy tone, sounding on the edge of feedback at times. Good build leading to some nifty licks.

It's not a competition.
  • Jolly nice phrasing, harmonies and composition throughout.

Interesting, great playing with creative harmonies, super spangley tone

Marvellous imagination and composition with delicate restraint from outright shredmongery in keeping with the style of the track
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I thought this was a really great backing track and I thought it was a tricky one to think about.

5 points
    @susbemol ;
    From the first couple of phrases I knew this was going to be great - totally captured the feel from The Pump that I love in those Larry Carlton and Steve Lukather live recordings. Super phrasing, and you did a Larry better than Larry does it ;) 

3 points
    @digitalkettle ;
    Just so competently slick and very pro. I really enjoyed listening to this over and over again. I liked the bit of contrast of hotter playing and the less gainy tone and licks - and I like the use of stereo to emphasise them. Really nice!

1 point
    @drhungry
    I get the chicken pecky thing with the phrasing! it gave it a live quality to me nicely controlled and lots of variety - all great stuff.

I get the feeling that you guys can do this stuff in your sleep. 

I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Number 3 was top for me, the most alive. Although I didn’t like the widdling at the end, fret wanking does nothing for me.
    number 7, then number 8.
    overall, for my personal taste, I think the backing track was too nice, so not that inspiring for the guitarist to play to… but that’s just me…and probably not in the majority here I would guess.
       But hey, all feedback is good 
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • Voting ends tomorrow (30th September) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
  • 5 points: @Bennyboy-UK - great energy and a very nice, fitting vibe for the track.
    3 points: @digitalkettle - super classy as usual with careful use of effects that worked really well within the context of the track.
    1 point: @DrHungry - cool flow of ideas and nice tone.

Nice to hear so many different perspectives on this!
  • Voting ends tonight at midnight. Here's a nudge to the following entrants who haven't voted yet, but you don't have to be an entrant to vote.

@Bellycaster ;
     @flying_pie ;
    @digitalkettle ;

It's not a competition.
  • 5 points @susbemol - Definitely the most "Larry"  :) Loved the tone and attack of the picking, great phrases and great control.

3 Points @digitalkettle - Nice fat tone, great build up and I liked the use of double Guitars. Some good longer melodic passages in their too.

The last one was tough to decide as there were so many good ones, but in the end:

1 Point @fastonebaz - I liked the different approach and the tone, the playing in some parts was quite similar to Danny Gatton, who I rate highly. Some good off the wall bits. Overall, a great job.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • 5 pts - @Bennyboy-UK - lovely lines and big tonez
    3 pts - @susbemol - plenty of Larry in there but I spotted some Jay too
    1 pt - @DrHungry - some unusual and well thought out lines

• Voting closed.
    It's not a competition.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    Sorry @stratman3142 had forgotten I'd be away with very poor internet. Didn't get a chance for a proper listen although I'm sure the usual suspects would be there or thereabouts
  • Sorry @stratman3142 had forgotten I'd be away with very poor internet. Didn't get a chance for a proper listen although I'm sure the usual suspects would be there or thereabouts
    No problem. Your votes wouldn't have changed the winner.
    It's not a competition.