Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What songs/pieces/ techniques are you all working on this week?

What's Hot
I find it interesting to know what the forum members on here are playing and practicing.

For me:
  • First half of Satch Boogie (pre tap section) joining up the various bits - it's slowly coming together.
  • Play and sing Ripple (Grateful Dead) - finally memorising that final verse which has proved awkward for some reason (lovely chord change in the chorus - Am D - then G and C (so far so diatonic) and then switching to an A major (parallel major scale?) to the D
...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited September 2023
    CaseOfAce said:
    (lovely chord change in the chorus - Am D - then G and C (so far so diatonic) and then switching to an A major (parallel major scale?) to the D

Ah, thank you, that’s a perfect example of a ii-V-I (Am-D-G) followed immediately (after the C) by a II-V-I (A-D-G). I’ve been looking for an example of them played side by side.

The A is a secondary dominant and, as well as lightening the mood, it allows a momentary, fleeting almost-modulation to the dominant key (which would be D), before slipping back into the real tonic, which is G. so the A-D is a mini V-I cadence, just like the D-G is. It can also be played as an A7. 

It’s the most common secondary dominant, and is sometimes called V/V, V7/V, “V of V”, or the “dominant of the dominant”. 

it’s not borrowed from any other scale per se, it’s just a chord with a raised note in it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Baker Street, my friend and I are working on this but we know it is a long term project. Way out of our comfort zone..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• "Splanky" - an old Count Basie Orchestra / Neal Hefti tune from 1958.

This isn't quite our arrangement, but this is the proper one

It's quite fun to play.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hybrid picking legato using my middle finger to pick the string below.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    Revisiting Jimmy Bryant's recording of Bryant's Bounce which I used to play but not for a few years now. Just getting it down again for a recording project.
  • Waters Rising - Alter Bridge
    Sentient Glow - Periphery (this one relearning because I've played it in the past and can't bloody remember!)
  • We've got a big gap in our gigging schedule so I dusted off a very old original song, from a long gone band that I was in, and rattled off a recording in the space of a few hours.  Very liberating to just slap stuff down and move on.

Great idea for a thread @CaseOfAce. It would be good if more would post here. It's really interesting discovering the diverse musical interests and playing skills of members and to know what everyone's working on.

@fretmeister what's your band line-up to play a piece like that?

@hollywoodrox how are you finding the hybrid picking legato? Are you managing to get similar tone and volume between pick and finger?

@Musicwolf that was a few hours well spent. Excellent.
  • Seven Caged Tigers by Stone Temple Pilots.
    The chord voicings are so nice. The bass line is perfect. And the slide solo is tough because I'm not a slide player and made worse by the fact the solo section changes keys a gazillion times. 
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Great idea for a thread @CaseOfAce. It would be good if more would post here. It's really interesting discovering the diverse musical interests and playing skills of members and to know what everyone's working on.

@hollywoodrox how are you finding the hybrid picking legato? Are you managing to get similar tone and volume between pick and finger?

Bass, drums, guitar, piano, and about 10 brass and 4 or 5 reeds.
    We need more reeds. Another 5 clarinets and a few tenor saxs would be ace.
    edited September 2023
    Jimbro66 said:

That's some band! Preparing arrangments for that number of players must be quite a challenge but very rewarding.
  • Jimbro66 said:

To be honest I’m doing a lot unplugged at the moment just getting the basic mechanics & sequences down in a few places . I’ll do any finessing when I’m plugged in then 
  • Open_GOpen_G Frets: 150
    I was messing around with the opening riff of brown eyed girl and my OH said it sounded like heartbeat by buddy holly. Therefore I’ve been now messing around with the fills from it. It’s quite good fun to play and more difficult to play cleanly than you might think. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I rarely try and learn stuff cos I'm rubbish at it, but as it happens I have revisited two songs recently that I have been trying for many years.

Thomas Blug - Beauty. I'm at the point where I can play about 82% not that brilliantly, and I improv the rest. I need to learn a few more proper notes.

Vai - The crying machine. Beyond me really but I can play about 20% unconvincingly. Too many notes for me to learn!

Actually there's another, Satch AWMAWY. I can do most up to the tapping exept for the long run, which just won't stick in my head! Once again, not great playing from me.
  • axisus said:
    I rarely try and learn stuff cos I'm rubbish at it, but as it happens I have revisited two songs recently that I have been trying for many years.

Thomas Blug - Beauty. I'm at the point where I can play about 82% not that brilliantly, and I improv the rest. I need to learn a few more proper notes.

Vai - The crying machine. Beyond me really but I can play about 20% unconvincingly. Too many notes for me to learn!

Actually there's another, Satch AWMAWY. I can do most up to the tapping exept for the long run, which just won't stick in my head! Once again, not great playing from me.
    Crying Machine?? Jesus, that call and answer section at the end is enough to make me give up on guitar. Too many notes indeed. 
  • Only just written this tonight, so a bit ropey...cliché love song.
    https://youtu.be/V1qk8bUkqqo?si=5qkNFWT4S8BRR9gC
    Maybe the band will give it a bit of a Raconteurs vibe, or they may just say piss off with yer soppy love songs...they normally do =)
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66 said:
    Jimbro66 said:

That's some band! Preparing arrangments for that number of players must be quite a challenge but very rewarding.
    We buy a lot of transcriptions, we all read. But we change them a fair bit if needed.

@axisus you do yourself an injustice. You've set the bar fairly high so anyone who was rubbish wouldn't get anywhere at all with those songs. It seems like you just need to persevere with them. For getting the fast runs in your head, slowdowner software is your friend.
  • I love amazing slow downer for Mac pc & iPad  and transcribe+ on the IPad is amazing  you can load video in too
    Only just written this tonight, so a bit ropey...cliché love song.
    https://youtu.be/V1qk8bUkqqo?si=5qkNFWT4S8BRR9gC
    Maybe the band will give it a bit of a Raconteurs vibe, or they may just say piss off with yer soppy love songs...they normally do =)
    That sounds pretty darned good to me. Your guitar playing demonstrates the dynamics that would make this song really work with a full band. Good singing too.