Truss rod cover screw snapped off

https://i.imgur.com/IKgRGxx.jpg

Checking the relief on my Taylor and there was a bit too much so gave the truss rod a quarter-turn tweak. When I came to replace the screws I noticed one was shorter than the other. About 3mm of the lower screw has snapped off in the hole. It’s a tiny hole so no chance of getting anything in there to grab it. The stump of the screw is in there now but there’s nothing much holding it in. Not a major problem really, but wondering if there might be a trick to getting the snapped off tip of the screw out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407
    Which one is it? If it's the one nearest the nut you might be seeing the truss rod not the broken end of the screw at the bottom of the hole - they're sometimes intentionally shortened to fit in that position.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    edited September 2023
    It is the lower one and I did think (hope) that one of the screws could have been shorter for that very reason, but unfortunately, inspection with a magnifying glass confirms that the pointy tip has snapped off. I tried the other screw in the lower hole but it bottoms out because the hole is now 3mm shallower.

The remains of the snapped screw is in there now as you can see in the photo but there is not enough thread to keep it secure (it turns a bit too freely). I suppose if I could get a similar screw but the same length as the snapped off screw remaining, I could do the matchstick and wood glue trick.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72407

The remains of the snapped screw is in there now as you can see in the photo but there is not enough thread to keep it secure (it turns a bit too freely). I suppose if I could get a similar screw but the same length as the snapped off screw remaining, I could do the matchstick and wood glue trick.
    You could do that anyway - the broken screw is actually better than using a shorter one since the thread will go all the way to the end.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think I will try that. It's hardly a load-bearing screw, just annoying! I think I've only had to remove that cover 2 or 3 times in 20 years.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    As you say, it's not taking any weight. Another alternative to the matchstick could be a couple of turns of PTFE plumber's tape round the thread.