P bass pickups...?

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
edited September 2023 in Bass
I'm back here again... D 

Building a new P, partly based on lessons learned from my current one and partly just because I really want a white one. 

I have a regular Lollar split P pickup in my current bass, and not necessarily looking for anything different, but interested to see if anyone has any first-hand experience of Lollar vs Fralin, SD Antiquity, Aguilar, etc? If anything I wouldn't mind a smidge more output and upper mids, but I don't want something completely different like a quarterpounder or P90

This will be using TI flats almost exclusively, I think. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• By far my favourite is the Aguilar AG4P. It's a 1960s recreation.

It sounds great with a nice mid range bump as all good P pickups should have and it tolerates being exceptionally close to the strings for a strong output. Unlike many others the pole pieces are slightly lower than the plastic cover so there's no annoying string on pole clicking that others have.

I've got them in 2 basses and I've had them in previous basses too. Whenever I get a precision type that I want to keep passive, that pickup goes in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27113
    edited September 2023
    I knew you’d say that. It’s definitely a good contender and probably my first choice if I don’t go Lollar. 

Novak also has a bunch of nice looking stuff. I'm also still very tempted to chuck a thunderbird pickup on something at some point but that can wait for now..

https://www.curtisnovak.com/product-category/bass/p-bass/
  • Well I do also really like the EMG PX.

It has more headroom than the standard version, but sounds like a great P should. Just with quite a bit more output.
    That one is always my choice for a PJ set up... but always with the EMG active balance control to solve insertion loss.
  • I don't want something completely different like a quarterpounder 
    Good because that's a beefburger. You would need to pair it with a Greasebucket tone control.

I have experience of some of the pickups on your wish list. I suggest that you add Nordstrand and DiMarzio to it.

The differences between the brands may prove extremely subtle - depending on your amplification.

Extra output is DiMarzio's calling card. The DP146 Will Power Middle delivers a strong Rock sound. This has been superseded by the Relentless model. 

I agree with fretmeister about the merits of active replacement pickups. I also agree about the "rightness" of Fender 62-64 era pickup specifications. c. 11k, A5, adjust height to taste, get on with it.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Is the Tonerider any good?
    Is the Tonerider any good?
    I don't know but instinct says they'll be very good for the money, if not on the same level as the handwired guys
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I'm really happy with my @OilCityPickups Hardman. I'm a bit of a brute though
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    I have a BK 62 P-Bass in my 1965 Precision.  Having had older Precisions in the past, the 65 was lacking in the sound, but the BK is perfect and has the tone of the older basses I had.  It has all the thunder and grunt you need, with the clarity and fullness that is the P-Bass sound.
  • I'm no expert by any means, but I had a Vintera that someone had put an Aguilar P in and it sounded phenomenal. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    PhilKing said:
    I have a BK 62 P-Bass in my 1965 Precision.  Having had older Precisions in the past, the 65 was lacking in the sound, but the BK is perfect and has the tone of the older basses I had.  It has all the thunder and grunt you need, with the clarity and fullness that is the P-Bass sound.
    BK don't seem to do a 62 any more- they do a 58 or 65, according to the website. 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I have several BKs and the '65 or '58 are great depending on your preference. The '65 is brighter the '58 more soulful if that's the right word. Both are excellent.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    impmann said:
    BK don't seem to do a 62 any more 
    Fender made a '63 model for the AV Series. I'm not sure whether they carried it on for the AO series.

FWIIW, my AV'63 arrived with a '58 style (raised A poles) pickup. I transferred that to my beaten up Squier Silver Series and treated the Fender AV to a Duncan Antiquity.

PhilKing said:
    … all the thunder and grunt you need, with the clarity and fullness that is the P-Bass sound.
    Love this description.

I have several active bass guitars but it is always nice to return to the simplicity of a P Bass with flatwound strings. Plug in and play it in the certain knowledge that it will sound right.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24387
    I've been playing my EMG-X loaded P today and I'm actually thinking of putting the same pickup in my Sandberg shortie as well.

It has the Aguilar in it at the moment, but there's something I am really enjoying about the output and headroom of the P-X.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14472
    I hope that Fishman will see sense and offer their Mike Inez signature soapbar pickup in a P Bass format.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    Another vote for Aguilar AG4P
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    As someone who plays a USA Fender Precision, what do you guys get from the EMG-X and the Aguilar AG4P that the stock pickups don't give?  Thanks.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24387
    The EMG-X is higher output, has higher headroom and seems to have more harmonic content. A more complex sound. I think they have a more piano like sound quality. It is also pretty much immune from interference in a way that even the best passive split coil P pickups aren't. 

The AG4P is entirely the opposite. It's a recreation of the original split coil P bass pickups using the same construction with a view to get that older sound where mids were more important than true bass (not that the amps of the time could cope with true bass at high volume). It's a less complex, more fundamental sound, with more mids than a current standard pickup.

Modern USA P pickups are in the middle really. Fender custom shop vintage P pickups are closer to the Aguilar than the stock modern P pickups. The current pickups are really based on the 1970s ones when players were starting to demand higher outputs and a more aggressive tone.

It should be noted though that with a good understanding of EQ and use of the bass tone control / LPF a modern passive P pickup can sound very close indeed to a 1960s recreation. 

String choice (Steels / nickels / flats / rounds / grounds / tapes) will still have a big impact, as will the amp and speaker choice.

And as always - the audience won't notice or care. But if the player is more satisfied that usually leads to a better performance.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Ironically since starting this thread I think I'm no longer looking. I'm moving to full time guitar in my band so will transfer my existing Lollar to the new build and put something more thumpy (Guild repro?) in my old sunburst. Should be fun :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom