NGD - Yamaha LS6 (yes another one...)

What's Hot
So she arrived today. First impressions, my gosh what a fun acoustic this is and just a *huge* bang for the buck. Responsive, loud, easy/comfy to play, long sustain, excellent punchy mid range which is just perfect for fingerstyle. Pleasantly lighter than I thought it would be (being laminate sides and back) also. I used to own a solid all round Larivee and this just kicks it out of the park, a far superior guitar.   Immaculate condition and presumably a previous owner had it setup, it plays so well. Unless Yamaha QC is *that* good?? Anyway, these are as good as everyone says.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Told ya. Enjoy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Beautiful guitar!! Congrats!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Looking at the saddle, I'd say that Yamaha's been usefully tweaked. The one on mine (LL16) is not sculpted like yours.

Nice that someone else has paid for the work. :)
  • goldtop said:
    Looking at the saddle, I'd say that Yamaha's been usefully tweaked. The one on mine (LL16) is not sculpted like yours.

Nice that someone else has paid for the work. :)
    Yep that's what I thought, although I hadn't noticed the saddle profile to be honest.  I usually pay good money for an acoustic setup - mainly to get the nut spot on - and this feels like a pro job. Can't remember buying an acoustic where there wasn't room for improvement/fine tuning at the nut and this is just bang on. Action  is 2mm @ 6th, 12th fret, so nice.
  • Told ya. Enjoy.
    Indeed! You have one too, right? I'd be interested to know  what strings you settled on. The seller said he thought it originally came with coated Elixir 80/20 which he found bright/harsh, and he put D'Addario 12-53 Phosphor Bronze on.  I can't imagine going for 80/20 for the same reason (especially strings that go hairy), its plenty bright enough with the PBs. 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    Nice guitar. Seems to be in excellent nick too. 

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    Told ya. Enjoy.
    Indeed! You have one too, right? I'd be interested to know  what strings you settled on. The seller said he thought it originally came with coated Elixir 80/20 which he found bright/harsh, and he put D'Addario 12-53 Phosphor Bronze on.  I can't imagine going for 80/20 for the same reason (especially strings that go hairy), its plenty bright enough with the PBs. 
    I find the Elixir's plinky or zingy, but they last so long! Reminds me of the old joke:

a: The food in that restaurant was awful!
    b: Yes it was, and such small portions...

so I'm interested in this too. What strings are people using? Presume 12 Gauge all round?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 234
    I like elixir phosphor bronze, but I think from other threads they're a bit of a marmite option.
    On an older guitar I like Newtone Heritage - lower tension but a good balanced tone.
    You may have opened a can of worms here.... :)

• Told ya. Enjoy.

I no longer have a Yamaha unfortunately but I have owned several. I'd recommend them as a really good quality mid priced guitar for anyone.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    edited September 2023
    Snap - lovely guitars, here's mine:

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5426
    Yeah about the string thing - I got an LL16M a few months ago and it came with Elixirs and they are *way* too bright. Mahogany should be warm and middy - the Elixirs just make it sound too snappy and shiny. I am loathe however to change ostensibly new strings, because I am a cheapskate. 

I do like Martin medium gauge phosphor bronzes - probably similar to or actually even rebadged D’Addarios, so that’s what’s going on when I do change them. And I’m looking forward to it feeling like a whole new NGD all over again. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 747
    Don't forget to try Monels at some point. (Sorry, always say this!) Martin MM12? Less bright, complex tone for picking.

Congrats on fine guitar. Nice. 

:-)
  • DavidR said:
    Don't forget to try Monels at some point. (Sorry, always say this!) Martin MM12? Less bright, complex tone for picking.

OK noted, thanks, never used those and I'm all for complex tones :-)
  • Nice guitar.

I have the LL16 and it too is a VERY bright guitar. I've settled on Elixir Nanoweb PB 12-53 as they take some of the edge off the brightness and I've never had a set of Elixir strings go "hairy" on me.

I did try Monels and took them off within a week. I just found them both dull and lacking in bass. I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. YMMV.

In spite of loving how the LL16 sounds with the treble under control I'm finding the neck to be bigger than I'm comfortable with. I have reasonably large hands, but prefer slimmer necks. I assume the L guitars have the same profile?
  • Yamaha L series really are magnificent creations . I remember ones from the mid 90s with a seperate outboard pre amp . I tried one at an Exeter guitar show and it felt absolutely wonderful to play