I need some sanity checks / advice on holding the pick

What's Hot
chrisoldroydchrisoldroyd Frets: 11
edited September 2023 in Technique
I am going back to basics with my playing to correct some things and I noticed my grip for the pick isn’t exactly normal. Is there anything wrong with my grip as my index finger is more pointed at the top of the pick rather than curled under like I have seen as the best way. When I curl it more it feels out of control to me. What’s your thoughts?

IMG-1116 IMG-1114
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can't see anything wrong with that! I haven't got a pic handy but I'm confident if you photographed me it would look very similar. There is no right or wrong grip. There is only what feels comfortable and offers you the best control with minimum tension anywhere else! Just check out Marty Friedman...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    That’s how I hold a pick a lot of the time, except that my finger doesn’t extend that far down. If it did then I’d be hitting the string with my fingernail on downstrokes.

There are lots of conflicting ideas about how a pick should be held. Like first finger barre vs thumb over discussions pick holding depends on what you’re playing.

I’ll shift my grip from song to song, or section to section.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2769
    Mine change depending on whether i am strumming 6 strings, playing 3ish strings, soloing , with my index finger moving from downwards on the first to 90deg under for the latter

im not certain that’s deliberate by the way 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    sev112 said:… not certain that’s deliberate by the way 
    You’ll do it automatically, without conscious thought. Often when this sort of question comes up I have to pick up a guitar to find out the answer.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • yockyyocky Frets: 809
    sev112 said:
    Mine change depending on whether i am strumming 6 strings, playing 3ish strings, soloing , with my index finger moving from downwards on the first to 90deg under for the latter

I use 3 or even 4 fingers to hold the pick when I'm strumming. Spent ages trying to correct that before finding out that's pretty much what Paul Gilbert does, so if it it works for him....

Whatever works I guess
  • So, if it works for me then that's ok. Thanks for all the comments.
  • Great, but a little too much pick showing in my opinion.
    Check out my Blues lessons channel at:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBTSHf5NqVQDz0LzW2PC1Lw
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    edited September 2023
    Depends what you're playing at the time. I have different grips for different techniques

Generally for faster high gain styles the pick will sit along the edge of my index finger with only the very end of the tip poking out. In this position your index finger makes more contact with the surface of the pick meaning you can keep it still and secure with less pressure

For looser strumming styles and styles where I want the strings to ring out I'll open my hand up a bit, slide the pick out towards the pad of my finger slightly and expose more of it so there is more give
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1267
    edited October 2023
    removed - will put these questions in a new thread.
  • Looks similar to how I hold mine. I always cover the whole of the top of it with my thumb so I am holding it properly so it doesn't turn. Not a lot of the tip of the pick showing too, so you can angle your wrist right over the strings instead of turning it at an angle.
  • yocky said:
    sev112 said:

I use 3 or even 4 fingers to hold the pick when I'm strumming. Spent ages trying to correct that before finding out that's pretty much what Paul Gilbert does, so if it it works for him....

Whatever works I guess
    Bear in mind Paul Gilbert uses a very thin pick (even for shredding).
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7269
    Watch a skilled plasterer using a trowel, or a painter using a brush, or surgeon holding a scalpel, and you will see them switch to a different grip, change the angle, and so on, frequently.  I used to work alongside a guy that held his pen with the strangest and most awkward looking grip, but his writing was consistently beautiful and neat.  I sometimes like having part of my thumb striking the string as I pick, while at other times I loosen my grip and expose more of the pick.  Whatever works for you.  Experiment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1415
    You should be able to get used to any new grip in less time than you'd think. Style of plectrum, style of music and intended sound will determine what is optimal at any given time. A bit like chording technique especially on electric. It's important to learn the correct ways, but in the heat of the moment it's good to have half a dozen ways of making the fingering,
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • My finger is more horizontal but as everyone says….whatever works, works :) 
  • 4on64on6 Frets: 86
    Funny isn’t it? .. a classical violin bow (as far as I know) has a very specific grip which any violin teacher will teach as very important. Even classic guitar, right hand technique is fairly consistent (I believe?? Might be misguided?)
    Yet the guitar plectrum.. well there is a text book grip and the likes of Al DiMeola (etc..) make great use of it… but there are also completely unorthodox guys.. eg Pat Metheney.. George Benson.. even Jimmy Page, who seem to get by with very different grips. 

• 4on6 said:
     Even classic guitar, right hand technique is fairly consistent (I believe?? Might be misguided?)
    Let's see now,
    -Nails vs no nails
    -Bent wrist with fingers perpendicular to strings (Segovia) vs straight wrist and fingers at angle to strings (modern)
    -Frequent se of rest stroke to define melody vs  deep free stroke
    -Scale technique played IM vs PM, Pi etc (lute style)
    -Planting vs not planting
    -Tip joint kept firm vs tip joint relaxes and 'gives' on contact with the string...

Yep, misguided ;-)