Painting services?

What's Hot
Hey

I’m starting to price up a project for either a Tele or Jazzmaster, and I am finding that my best option for a body that suits my needs is from guitarbuild.co.uk, who’ll do custom routing for me. However, they only sell unfinished wood, and don’t offer a painting service. 
I have tried painting a guitar before and it was… bad. This one I want to be proud of! 

So if I was to buy a body, are there any reputable and not too expensive people who can paint it? I’m not after anything fancy, it’ll probably just be all vintage white or clean white poly. 

I thought Northwest would offer that, but they unfortunately only sell the paints. 

I plan on just buying a ready to go maple neck for so I shouldn’t need a finishing service for that?

Thanks, and sorry if this is a common question. I searched for threads already but didn’t find anything. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
    Where are you based?
    Jon Shuker in the Peak District would be worth an ask
  • PLOPPLOP Frets: 293
    I’m based in the north east. There’s a real dearth of guitar stuff here it seems. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_1Dan_1 Frets: 93
    @PLOP did you get anywhere with this? I’m in same predicament and looking for options. 
    Cheers. 
    @Dan_1 no unfortunately not. I think my best answer now might be to get a squier paranormal offset tele and just mod that instead. It’s the closest thing I’ve found to what I want but it isn’t perfect. 
  • I asked a guitar tech in my area about fixing the previous owners dodgy respray job and he told me he no longer does paint jobs as they are too much hassle for the money.

His recommendation was just buying an already painted body in the colour I wanted.
    edited October 2023
    Esoterick said:
    I asked a guitar tech in my area about fixing the previous owners dodgy respray job and he told me he no longer does paint jobs as they are too much hassle for the money.

His recommendation was just buying an already painted body in the colour I wanted.
    That’s fine, but try finding a string through, hard tail, HH/HSS/HS jazzmaster with a side mounted jack and basic Strat/LP style control knobs and not the regular JM switches, preferably in white with back and front contours, and if possible a neater and modern neck heel. C’est impossible! 

Guitarbuild has almost exactly what I need but if I can’t get a painter then it’s essentially useless to me because I can’t do that myself. 
    Thanks guys. The reason for wanting a painting service is because I got a ridiculous deal on a used Ibanez AX prestige, which despite playing and sounding fantastic, looked horrendous. I’ve sanded it back, and a now just looking for a basic refinish (but a professional one). Not even that fussed on the colour, so surely there must be someone in this forum who could help? 

Before & after photos in this post: 
    https://instagram.com/p/CyvNGfxtqpi/
  • @Dan_1 ; / @plop - I'd talk to Bill @Corvus guitars he has done a couple for me, plus built me one of his spectaular guitars, might need to ship depending on location, but worth it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Dan_1 said:

Wow I can see why you wasted no time in getting the paint off that. That black leathery looking finish was absolutely abominable!
    PLOP said:
    Dan_1 said:

Wow I can see why you wasted no time in getting the paint off that. That black leathery looking finish was absolutely abominable!
    Isn’t jt just! It’s a great guitar though, and so I think it deserves to be tarted up a bit. I got it for an absolute steal too, and so it’s going to make a great gigging option. 

Thanks @webrthomson for the contact. Will drop him a message. 
  • SephSeph Frets: 3
    @Dan_1 ; / @plop - I'd talk to Bill @Corvus guitars he has done a couple for me, plus built me one of his spectaular guitars, might need to ship depending on location, but worth it.
    Not sure if Bill ships, but if so I’d also recommend - he repainted a G&L for me last year and I couldn’t be happier with the result.
  • @Dan_1 - you are welcome - Bill's a gent he'll sort you out :)
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2926
    tFB Trader
    Thanks very much to the kind gents above : ^^ At the moment I'm not taking on paint, unless it's part of a build that's underway, or praps vintage resto which I love doing. Just got too much work on right now colliding with a hopeful house move and I'm very wary of over-committing, only want to take on things I can definitely deliver.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    Josh Parkin might do it for you.  He is very good and has done some great repair work for me.  York based.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I've never used them, but i think people said they do nice work. Bow finishing. 

https://www.bowfinishing.co.uk/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Are you totally set on a paint finish? Osmo tinted with artists' oil paint looks great and it's very easy to do.
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    @PLOP if you’re after a hard wearing clean finish go to your local auto repair shop. They’ll use acrylic lacquer and it’ll give you the finish you want. My local car painter said he paints loads of different stuff for people as well as accident damage repairs on cars 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @lamf68 off the chart finishing,and a top bloke to deal with.
    See you in Tesco car park soon Rich