Self-Guided Ear Training Tips for Classical Guitar Beginners

invisiblewaspinvisiblewasp Frets: 1
edited October 2023 in Theory

Hello everyone,

As someone relatively new to classical guitar and music in general, I'm looking for advice on how to enhance my ear training abilities. This includes developing relative pitch, recognizing chord progressions, and discerning sharps and flats, among other skills.

If you could share any exercises or resources, I would appreciate it.

Up until now, I've been using a web application for ear training called [***some product I’m spamming every music related forum with ***], which has proven to be quite effective. However, it primarily focuses on vocal exercises and may be more useful for singers. Thank you in advance!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 745
    edited October 2023
    Functional Ear trainer, I still use the older version, they're basic interval guessing exercises, but it's good, no ads and works on a pc.

The latest versions might be good too, but I've not used them.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • There's also Toned Ear, a free online ear trainer.  Maybe not as comprehensive as some resources, but will keep most people going for a long time.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited October 2023
    Calm down, it’s https://tonedear.com/

Actually, just been playing with tonedear. I think it's excellence; progressions, intervals, intervals in context, notes within a key, it's got everything and it's really simple, and free on the PC.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Calm down, it’s https://tonedear.com/

Actually, just been playing with tonedear. I think it's excellence; progressions, intervals, intervals in context, notes within a key, it's got everything and it's really simple, and free on the PC.

Agreed.  There are limitations (eg chord progressions are strictly major key and diatonic) but I haven't got to the point of feeling restricted by them and it's excellent for the ground covered.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”