Award Session 5E3-Extra

HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
edited December 2023 in Amp Reviews
I’ve got a bit of a thing for ‘two-knob’ amplifiers, and after using one of these at a local(ish) blues jam I sold some other stuff off and ordered one. I ordered the basic (no reverb, effects loop, or DI out) 22 Watt version. Mine has the Celestion A-Type speaker.
I chose the (optional) tweed covering which looks the biz.

Actually this has three knobs knobs - volume, master, and tone. There’s also a ‘fat’ switch (which does exactly what it says on the tin and fattens things up nicely), and a ‘Hi / 7W’ switch. The 7W setting doesn’t make things a lot quieter - it’s more about bringing on a saturated sound rather earlier. It still gets surprisingly loud. 

With the volume below about 4 (all the knobs go to 12) everything is pretty clean. Above that things start to get a bit gritty - but never too gritty - fully clockwise is into Clapton territory. 

Tone between about 4 to 7 keeps it warm and mellow. Much more than that is too bright for my taste. It never gets ice-picky though.

This amp is very responsive and has valve-like feel and dynamics. I suspect most users wouldn’t guess that it is a solid-state amplifier. It also takes pedals well.

I’d describe its base tone as warm and clean. Despite being ‘only’ 22W this amp is seriously loud and easily (in my opinion) up to the job for pubs and small venues.

Everything looks and feels to be solid and very well put together.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rickd2112arickd2112a Frets: 29
    @HAL9000 ;
    I just saw your recommendation in the Amps section - I'm interested in a Tweed style amp, this one has piqued my interest.
    As it's solid state my guess is that the Master Volume control works well to tame the volume? I'm interested in low volume use as I'm a home player only.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9702
    @rickd2112a ;
    Yes, MV works well for taming the volume. It can go pretty quiet and still sound good.

As an aside the Celestion A-type, which mine has, is not currently offered as an option (apparently because Fender now use them in the BJr thus creating a shortage for everyone else).
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom