Absolutely Understand Guitar. Cool YouTube channel if you wanna learn music theory.

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6142
edited October 2023 in Theory
Recommended to me.
It's a complete course for free.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 794
    I could do with some of that. Thank you very much 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12411
    If I learned theory I would have no excuse tor being rubbish. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    edited October 2023
    I dunno, I understand how and why music works and I’m rubbish at the guitar; I just say they’re different things
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6897
    munckee said:
    If I learned theory I would have no excuse tor being rubbish. 
    But at least you’d understand why it’s sounded crap! ;)
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7349
    edited October 2023
    If I was going to make a superficial judgement on the potential content of the series of videos (Playlist Link) I believe I might have been put off a bit by the QVC style introduction that sounded very mechanical, however I have skimmed through a few of the videos in order and the content is well sequenced and presented.  I'm not a teacher, but I know enough theory to teach to a reasonably high level, and I think there are a couple of fundamentals that I would probably have introduced in a different order for a course.  He will have his reasons for ordering them that way though, and I think these videos would enable people with little or no understanding of theory to come out the other end fully understanding how music works, and without making them feel like it was drudgery in the process.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1371
    edited October 2023
    Horses for courses. I found him tedious, and he spent too much time talking about irrelevancies in terms of developing an understanding of Music Theory. I have learnt a fair amount of Music Theory during past guitar lessons, and will admit to liking Music Theory.

On top of this, I paid for Lifetime Access to Justin Sandercoe's Practical Music Theory Course quite awhile ago. I don't think that you can do that any more, and I'm pretty certain that you now pay by subscription. From my point of view, it's a much better organised course, but I know full well, that in music, different styles of teaching suit different people.