Guitar amp sims/fx racks

What's Hot
Hi everyone - I'm currently using Guitar Rig 5, but would like to upgrade - what is good these days?

Amplitube? Neural?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't know if IK are still offering Amplitube for a good price, but I bought the MAX set for 99 euros and I find myself playing it more and more; my amps are getting used less and less, although it's still great to fire them up from time to time.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    I’ve got a bunch of Neural ones but I keep coming back to Helix Native.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hasslehamhassleham Frets: 607
    I’ve got the Neural Corey Wong and really like it.
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Mainly HX Stomp but the NAM AI plugin is pretty impressive as well.
  • Can the neural ones be used standalone or do I need a quad cortex? 
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 636
    They install both a standalone app and plugins for use in your DAW. Quad cortex separate hardware modeller product that will supposedly also host all the plugins at some point.
  • PhiltheguitarPhiltheguitar Frets: 13
    edited January 6
    Ah yes thank you @jasonbone75 I meant plug in 
    Cool. In that case just the one download and install required and the plugin version will be available in your DAW.

If you are more into edge of breakup and classic cleans you might want to take a look at Scuffham S-Gear trial before committing to any of the others. If you are a metalhead like me Neural is as good an option as any other.

If you want lots of choice consider Overloud TH-U and its various editions which provide many more amps and cabs than the "endorser/amp focused" Neural offerings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3678
    Hi everyone - I'm currently using Guitar Rig 5, but would like to upgrade - what is good these days?

Amplitube? Neural?

Neural Amp Modeller…. Amazing!  https://www.neuralampmodeler.com/

Get stacks of amp and pedal models here:  https://tonehunt.org/about

Cab/Mic models: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/10/01/free-sample-shootout-6-best-free-guitar-cabinet-impulse-responses/
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4793
    Not really sure how to define "good", but if you can settle for a few great-sounding amps and effects, where digging in to the guitar actually gets a musical response from the software, then it's Scuffham Amps S-Gear all the way for me. Runs as a plugin in your DAW or stand-alone. I use it for recording song ideas and demos.

The downside for many peeps is that they're looking for lots of amps and effects and S-Gear isn't that - it's a few well-written models of perfectly-usable classic amp types without trying to actually be replications of something specific. There's a free trial available.

FWIW, I didn't gel with Helix Native, Amplitude or the amps in Line6, Headrush and Boss modellers. I think if someone ported S-Gear amps into my GT1000 Core I'd feel a bit differently about it. 
    +1 for Scuffham. I tried it and it isn't for me due to my amp tastes but it is a bloody good product with excellent sound, feel and response.
  • Not really sure how to define "good", but if you can settle for a few great-sounding amps and effects, where digging in to the guitar actually gets a musical response from the software, then it's Scuffham Amps S-Gear all the way for me. Runs as a plugin in your DAW or stand-alone. I use it for recording song ideas and demos.

The downside for many peeps is that they're looking for lots of amps and effects and S-Gear isn't that - it's a few well-written models of perfectly-usable classic amp types without trying to actually be replications of something specific. There's a free trial available.

FWIW, I didn't gel with Helix Native, Amplitude or the amps in Line6, Headrush and Boss modellers. I think if someone ported S-Gear amps into my GT1000 Core I'd feel a bit differently about it. 
    That sounds great actually. I can't stand having too many opinions. Thank you
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I have GR 5, 6 is a lot better, not gone to 7 yet, but I will. 6 is worth the upgrade IMO
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    edited January 17
    neuralDSP's gojira
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    Just downloaded the NeuralDSP free 14 day trial for Morgan Amps Suite. https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/morgan-amps-suite

Enjoyed playing through the presets. Pete Thorn & Neil Zaza have created some on there (among many others). 

I like that it can be used as a standalone & I don’t have to open up my DAW to practice. 

• Another for S-Gear. I don't find the need to use any other guitar amp sim. I like it because it's has a limited but versatile set of features. Less tweaking more playing.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    NAM is amazing, and I haven't tried Atomic amps tonocracy,  but it is free now, and can also host NAM stuff apparently. 
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 985
    andy_k said:
    NAM is amazing, and I haven't tried Atomic amps tonocracy,  but it is free now, and can also host NAM stuff apparently. 
    Cheers @andy_k ;
    I would like to give it a try: 
    https://tonocracy.com/download/
  • PetGerbilPetGerbil Frets: 176
    neuralDSP's gojira

Of all the ones I've tried, this was the one where i went "bingo!" That's the sound I want. The rest were very good... but, That baby has a monster core sound and feel.