Eyes Closed

What's Hot
I've been playing at learning, for on and off 50 years and usually ended up frustrated and "leaving it for a while" only to pick it up and trying again.  For the first time, yesterday, I shut my eyes!  My shoulders relaxed and I found that I was hitting the notes without looking to see that my fingers were in the correct place.  For the first time, in years, I put the guitar down, after playing, and didn't have a pain in the neck!  Ahhhhhhh!......... and breathe!  :)
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 690
    That's great, glad you've found something that works. All that practice paid off if you can play without looking at the neck. 

Posture is very important. Whatever feels relaxed to you is the correct approach.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Playing in front of a mirror is pretty insightful too
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4106
    viz said:
    I end up playing everything backwards when I do that. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrumitStrumit Frets: 46
    edited October 2023
    viz said:

Mirrors?  I avoid them these days! Thank you for the advice though!  All is appreciated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    I end up playing everything backwards when I do that. 
    https://youtube.com/shorts/C2C4ccId-W8?feature=shared
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    I need to try playing with my eyes closed or in the dark. I'm guilty of fretboard staring when playing live.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    I do most of my playing /practice after dinner and late into the evening.
    I end up playing a lot with my eyes closed ........it's not intentional , I usually wake up when the guitar hits the floor or when my arm has moved and some loud screech come out of the amp that has fallen silent !
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Posted this a couple of times before; we were encouraged to improvise without looking down at the instrument, so this is totally spontaneous, and I found myself reacting in the moment to the sound I was producing. Very revealing but also very liberating! Sound quality shite though, obvs. 

https://youtu.be/nA1CInnvyvg?feature=shared
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited November 2023
    I often shut my eyes when I'm learning something, partly cos I'm probably singing at the same time and 'feeling' the vibe but mostly cos it teaches me muscle memory. If you want to push yourself further then lie flat on the floor whilst playing so your body is prone and you can't look down. It's amazing how quickly you will know where to put your hands
  • I’ve often done the eyes shut thing when learning a tricky lick 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    viz said:
    I'd say that 90% of the time I play in front of my video camera with the feed going into the laptop placed in front of me. Makes me realise that I look a bit nerdy playing guitar. You are either cool or you ain't!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    viz said:
    Posted this a couple of times before; we were encouraged to improvise without looking down at the instrument, so this is totally spontaneous, and I found myself reacting in the moment to the sound I was producing. Very revealing but also very liberating! Sound quality shite though, obvs. 

https://youtu.be/nA1CInnvyvg?feature=shared
    Good stuff but then you are one of the better technical players of the forum. 

Bike in the house - not married???
    It’s the wife’s bike. 

Not really. She’s incredibly patient!
  • DiscoStu said:
     If you want to push yourself further then lie flat on the floor whilst playing so your body is prone and you can't look down. It's amazing how quickly you will know where to put your hands
    I learned that very early in life!!! :)